Our students come here for a number of reasons, but on the top of the list is the incredible experience Winston-Salem State University offers that can be found nowhere else. It is more than the faculty who care about each student as an individual. It is more than the vibrant student life or the abundant student organizations. It is more than a caring environment full of people who strive to ensure each student meets his or her goals. It’s something intangible. Something special. It’s something uniquely Winston-Salem State University.
We aren’t the only ones who think WSSU is special. Check out some of the ranking and accolades we have received, then schedule your visit. We can’t wait to meet you!
Rankings and Accolades
· #1 in the UNC System for graduates receiving jobs in NC after graduation
· #1 in the triad for highest salary after receiving an undergraduate degree
· #2 in the UNC System for highest salary after receiving a graduate degree
· #1 in the nation for graduating black students in the fields of physical science
and exercise science
· #4 in the nation for Most Affordable RN-to-BSN Programs
· #5 in the nation in graduating minority students in the health sciences
· #5 HBCU in the nation (CollegeChoice.com)
· #1 HBCU in North Carolina (CollegeChoice.com)
· Top 10 nursing schools in the East (Nurse Journal)
· Top 10 in the nation on the CollegeNet Social Mobility Index
· Top 10 HBCUs (BestColleges.com)
· Top 10 HBCUs (EDsmart)
· Top 20 HBCUs for highest average annual salary for recent graduates (EDsmart)
· Best Bang for the Buck in the Southeast (Washington Monthly)
· Best Colleges in the South (U.S. News and World Report)
· Top Public Schools (U.S. News and World Report)
· Top Historically Black Colleges and Universities (U.S. News and World Report)
· Grand Prize “Learning by Design” for the Donald Julian Reaves Student Activities Center
· Most Influential People in the Triad 2016 - Chancellor Elwood L. Robinson
Points of Pride
· WSSU’s Diggs Gallery has been identified as one of the Top 10 African-American galleries in
the nation and one of the nation’s best regional facilities for contemporary African art.
· The Winston-Salem State University Choir performs nationally and internationally and has
recorded seven compact discs with one nominated in 2010 for five Grammy awards.
· WSSU is the only four-year public university, as well as the only Historically Black College or
University (HBCU) in the nation that offers a bachelor of science degree program in
· The WSSU Departments of Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy have 100% licensure
board pass rates.
· The WSSU Department of Rehabilitation Counseling is the only program of its type in the nation
that provides services to the deaf and hard of hearing.
· The WSSU Division of Nursing is the third-largest producers of traditional nurses in North
Carolina; over 90% of students pass their licensure examination the first time.
· The WSSU Division of Nursing partners with Duke University School of Nursing in a Bridge to
the Doctorate program, designed to enhance minority nurse scientists; it is one of only three
such programs in the nation.
· The WSSU Faculty of Business offers Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
(AACSB) accredited academic programs that equip students with the knowledge and skills
necessary to meet the challenges of a dynamic and ever changing world.
· WSSU students can join one of 16 Greek organizations and 100-plus student organizations.
· WSSU students can choose from seven themed housing options, including Living Arts, First Year
Residential Experience, Freshman Honors, Upperclass Honors, Women in Science and Health,
Women Involved in Leadership Development, and Live to Serve.