The Graduate Council, a standing committee of the General Faculty, consists of faculty members active in graduate programs who are elected or appointed according to the Constitution of the General Faculty at WSSU. Each graduate program at Winston-Salem State University elects one faculty representative and an alternate to serve on this committee for a term as specified by the Constitution of the General Faculty at WSSU. The Chair and Vice-Chair of the Faculty Senate serve as representative and alternate, respectively. The Provost and the Associate Provost for Research serve as ex-officio members.
The Graduate Council represents the interests of graduate education as a whole, not those of specific departments or programs. The Graduate Council makes recommendations pertaining to:
- new graduate degree and certificate programs including online programs;
- curricular revisions and changes in graduate academic programs;
- university-wide standards for student academic conduct in graduate programs;
- minimum admission standards;
- minimum course requirements;
- maximum length of time to complete degree; and,
- minimum qualifications and appointment periods of faculty members who can teach graduate classes.
Requests for policy changes are submitted to this committee through the Office of the Provost after they have been proposed, reviewed and approved by all appropriate graduate program faculty members, department and school/college committees, program chairs and deans.
The Chair and Vice-Chair of the Graduate Council are elected by the graduate council members for two year terms.
The Graduate Council consists of faculty members active in graduate programs who are elected or appointed for a two year term.
The Council meets each month on the first Thursday from 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm in the EJCS 2200 (unless otherwise noted). Agenda items should be submitted to the Graduate Council Chair two weeks in advance of the meeting. Curriculum agenda items must be approved by the Department Chair and the School/College Dean prior to submission.