Fitness Area Guidelines
Winston-Salem State University
601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Dr.
Winston-Salem, NC 27110
To help ensure your safe use and enjoyment of our facility and programs, we provide the following list of guidelines for everyone to follow. We may find it necessary to amend or add to these to better serve you. Guidelines may be orally communicated to you, listed on the website or contained on signs posted in the facility. Please review and familiarize yourself with them. Please contact our staff if you have any questions.
In an effort to promote safety, reduce the spread of communicable diseases and prevent additional wear and tear on equipment and machines, all participants are asked to wear appropriate athletic clothing while working out or participating in activities. Participants not wearing appropriate clothing or clothing that may be found offensive to others will be asked to adjust as needed or asked to leave the facility.
· A shirt must cover the upper body, including back, sides and chest.
· Shorts must cover at least two inches past the rear.
· Shoes are required in all activity areas except for yoga and Pilates
classes. Athletic shoes with non-marking soles are required.
Open-toed shoes, open-backed shoes, boots, sandals, or casual
shoes are not allowed.
· Recommended attire includes: sweat suits or shorts, non-mesh tee
shirts or tops.
· Jeans, jean shorts, street cargo pants, belts, or any articles of
clothing with zippers or rivets are not permitted.
· Weight gloves are recommended for the use of free weights.
· In the weight/cardio rooms, we recommend that you do not wear
jewelry which may cause injury or damage to the equipment.
• Please observe proper personal hygiene by showering regularly,
wearing clean clothing, avoiding cologne, and using deodorant.
Please avoid smoky areas prior to working out.
• Water bottles with lids are encouraged at UREC. Food, gum and
other drinks are prohibited.
• All personal belongings must be placed in lockers or cubbies. UREC
and the staff members are not responsible for lost or stolen property.
• Use of the facility and all equipment is available on a first
come/first serve basis.
• Members must use the equipment only in the manner intended by the manufacturer
and authorized by UREC. Please follow all instructions and posted signs carefully. Please ask the
UREC staff for assistance when using equipment with which you are not familiar.
• Members shall not move or modify the equipment in any manner whatsoever. No free weight or
loose equipment shall be used in connection with any mechanical equipment or in any manner for
which the equipment was not originally intended.
• Please wipe down your equipment after use.
• Please report damaged equipment, equipment malfunctions or injuries to the UREC staff
• The use of cell phones in the facility is prohibited due to member privacy and interference with
heart rate monitors.
• Personal training or private instruction is restricted to UREC staff only.
• DO NOT USE the equipment if you are taking any medication that causes drowsiness or have
any medical condition which makes such use inappropriate.
Please be courteous:
• The maximum time limit on all machines is 30 minutes when other members are waiting unless
being used in conjunction with a specific GroupX class.
• The emergency-off clip is required when using treadmills.
Weight Room Guidelines
Please be courteous:
• Allow others to work in when performing multiple sets
• Members should seek assistance for all spotting needs.
• Collars are to be used at ALL times to secure weights on bars.
• Weight plates are to be re-racked. They are not to be leaned against machines or left on
equipment or bars.
• After using equipment, return all plates, dumbbells and other equipment to the proper storage
• Safety bars must be used when available. Set the safety bar about one inch lower than your
lowest movement with the bar.
• Dumbbells and weight plates should NOT be dropped on the floor for any reason.
• Please maintain slow and controlled movements of weights at all times.
• Each participant is allowed to have no more than two sets of dumbbells off the rack at a time.
• Chalk is not allowed in the facility.
• Please keep language and behavior respectful and avoid the use of profanity.