Residence Halls History
Atkins Hall, constructed in 1977, is named for Simon Green Atkins, the University’s founder and the first President of Slater Industrial Academy (now Winston-Salem State University). He was born to former slaves in Haywood, NC and this is where he received his early education and taught school. A graduate of St. Augustine’s, Raleigh, and on the faculty of Livingstone College, Atkins became principal of Depot Street School in Winston in 1890, where he led in the development of Columbia Heights, a model community surrounding the Slater School. Simon Green Atkins (1863-1934) devoted his life to improving African-American education in North Carolina. He also worked tirelessly to elevate the economic status and to improve the housing and health of his community. Atkins was a man of high principles who emphasized how important it is for youth to develop strong personal character and a willingness to work hard to promote the overall good of society. Atkins Hall is for freshmen women.
Brown Hall, constructed in 1964, is name for Thomas J Brown, an early graduate of Slater Industrial Academy (now Winston-Salem State University). Later, he attended Shaw University and became a public school teacher. He returned to Slater Industrial Academy and State Normal School in 1911 to serve as principal of the Columbia Heights Practice School for four years. In 1920, he was named postmaster of Station A, which served the Slater Industrial Academy and Normal School campus and the local community. However, he is perhaps best known for his many years of service as an instructor in the Social Sciences, a department which he also chaired when the school became a four-year institution in 1925. Thomas J. Brown retired from his postmaster and instructing duties in 1961, and died in 1976. Brown Hall is a freshmen only hall.
Dillard Hall, constructed in 1971, is named for Nicholas Longworth Dillard, a former educator and trustee of Winston-Salem State University. Dillard was a graduate of Bennett College and Shaw University. After earning an advanced degree from the University of Michigan, Dillard served as principal of Caswell County High School in Yanceyville, NC for 38 years. During his tenure as principal, the teaching faculty increased from 3 to 36 and the student body increased from 80 to 1,100. Dillard Hall currently serves a freshmen women’s community.
Moore Hall, constructed in 1962 is named for C. Beatrice Moore. Ms. Moore served as Winston-Salem State University’s dietician. A native of Lumberton, NC, Moore enrolled in Slater Industrial Academy and State Normal School (now WSSU) in 1920. She completed the normal training program in 1923, and was hired by the college to serve as the assistant director of Atkins Hall, a female residence facility. Moore later served as head matron and director of women's activities. In 1930, Moore decided to pursue a degree in home economics, and she enrolled in the home economics program at the college which in 1925 had become Winston-Salem Teachers College. Following her graduation in 1933, Moore was hired by her alma mater as the college dietician and she was later appointed acting dean of women. At the time of her retirement in 1963, Moore had served the college for forty years, thirty of which were as the college's dietician. Following retirement, Moore was a frequent visitor at cultural and social activities hosted by the college until her death in 1976. Moore women continue this distinguished alumna’s example with their service to the University.
Ram Commons, opened in 2002, is a $17 million, 440-bed co-educational residence facility. It contains two-bedroom and four-bedroom suites with kitchens, as well as study and computer rooms, an exercise facility, and a store.
Wilson Hall, constructed in 1994, is named for Haywood Lester Wilson, a 1958 graduate of Winston-Salem State University. A gifted educator, Wilson received an "Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award" and became an assistant principal in the Forsyth County school system in 1961. In 1968, he received a Master of Science degree in educational administration from North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University. In 1969, he was asked by then - WSSU president Kenneth R. Williams to return to his alma mater and assume the position of director of Student Affairs. He earned a Ph.D. in education from Southern Illinois University-Carbondale in 1975 and then returned to Winston-Salem State University as vice chancellor for Student Affairs. Following the departure of Chancellor H. Douglas Covington in 1984, Wilson served as acting chancellor of the university. In 1985, after the appointment of Cleon F. Thompson as chancellor, he returned to his position as vice chancellor and held this position until 1992.