Housing and Residence Life

Prospective Residents

First Year Student Housing

Freshmen and sophomore students are required to live on campus.  Freshmen status students must live in one of our four first-year residence halls.  Below are the Hall Profiles for the four residence hall communities.

Co-Ed By Floor Women's Halls
Martin-Schexnider Hall Atkins Hall
Brown Hall
 Moore Hall

Safety and Security

Students & Residence Hall Manager

Transfer Students 

Winston-Salem State University Welcomes Transfer students who have completed credits at a two- or four-year college/university prior to the submission of an application to WSSU. To see various requirements by the university see Transfer Student Information from the admissions office. 

Transfer students who seek on-campus housing need to follow the housing request process on the Living on Campus page under the subheading "APPLY FOR ON-CAMPUS HOUSING".


The RamCard is the official Winston-Salem State University identification card used by all students, faculty, and staff. The RamCard is an essential part of life at WSSU. It is used for food services, bookstore and campus purchases, access to residence halls, academic buildings, the student health center, vending and library services. It is a ticket for admission to athletic events and campus activities. Students should carry their RamCard with them at all times and present it to University officials upon request.

Meal Plans

All students who reside on campus must purchase a meal plan.  For information on the various meal plans that the university offers see Campus Dish.


Winston-Salem State University now has an agreement with Standards for Living for providing a micro-fridge for students who request one. By clicking on the link provided, you can read of the details on how to order one and have it delivered. The ONLY product approved by WSSU that allows for a microwave in your room is available to rent! Standards of Living

Standards for Living : Micro-fridges


As part of our efforts as a University to “Go Green” most of the official university business and notifications will go through email. All students will receive email addresses upon registering for classes. It is their responsibility to check their email regularly. For traditional mail delivery, students should get a Campus Box at the University Post Office on the ground floor of the Thompson Student Center. Parents can send packages that can be picked up at our Post Office during business hours. 

Once you get a campus box your address will be as follows.

Campus Box #####
601 South Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Winston-Salem, NC  27110-0001 

Student Parking

As the parking needs of the university are not adequate for all students to have vehicles on campus, no parking permits shall be issued to any freshmen living on campus unless authorized by a Disability Parking Committee or by order of the Chancellor. 

Visitor Parking

Parking on the Winston-Salem State University campus is strictly controlled. Visitors must utilize available metered parking spaces located throughout campus or obtain a visitor permit from Public Safety and park in designated visitor parking spaces. Campus Maps indicate appropriate parking locations and may be obtained at campus entrances or from the office of Public Safety located in the lobby of the Anderson Center. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Winston-Salem State University

601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive

Winston-Salem, NC 27110

Phone: (336) 750-2000

Follow WSSU on FacebookFollow WSSU on TwitterWSSU is on Youtube
WSSU Photos on FlickrRamPages BlogWSSU is on Instagram
Copyright © 2016 Winston-Salem State University