Welcome to Career Development Services
Welcome to the Career Development Services Website.
Career Development Services (CDS) works with students during all phases of the career development process. Career Development Services offers a full range of resources and services to assist you in developing the necessary strategies and skills which will distinguish you as a professional. CDS staff members want to help you learn about your skills and interests, and articulate them confidently in resumes, cover letters, interviews, and personal statements; identify and explore career options that you might pursue; and implement an effective strategy to attain your desired career outcomes.
You will find many resources in these pages, and we also invite you to visit our offices in person. We have a career resource library, which includes books, directories and guides related to graduate school and employment. And, so much more! We hope to see you soon.
LaMonica Sloan, M.S.
Director, Career Development Services
The mission of the Career Development Center is to provide services, programs, and resources that facilitate the lifelong career development process and assist students and alumni with implementing and securing satisfying careers. Career Development Services will achieve this mission through maintaining quality standards and productive collaborations with internal and external partners.
The Career Development Center, a department within the Division of Student Affairs, functions as a comprehensive career planning service which supports the mission of Winston-Salem State University and the success of its students and alumni by:
- Helping individuals develop self-awareness of interests, values, and skills that facilitate effective career exploration and decision making in an increasingly diverse, global society.
- Providing support and guidance to assist with clarification and formulation of career goals.
- Empowering individuals to become active participants in their own continuing development.
- Providing information and resources about occupations, job trends, employer requirements, and educational opportunities.
- Delivering programs and providing coaching on job search skills, resume development, and interview techniques.
- Encouraging students to pursue internships and other experiential opportunities to explore and prepare for careers.
- Collaborating with academic departments to incorporate career development activities into the educational experiences of students.
- Fostering connections with employers, members of the University community, graduate and professional schools, and alumni to increase educational and recruitment opportunities for students.