Scholar Selection Criteria
The MBRS-RISE Program Selection Committee will evaluate the application of each candidate and the two letters of recommendation. Students must be enrolled full-time in undergraduate majors at WSSU in disciplines useful in the biomedical sciences (chemistry, biochemistry, biology, microbiology, computer science, exercise science or psychology). In addition students MUST have demonstrated high academic ability in course work, i.e., and A-B average and strong letters of recommendation from college or university science faculty and /or administrators.
RISE Scholars will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Full-time academic standing at WSSU
- Freshman, Sophomores, Juniors or Seniors
- Biology, physics, chemistry, psychology, computer science or math majors
- Real interest in biomedical/behavioral research
- Interest in pursuing a Ph.D. in the biomedical or behavioral sciences or a M.D./Ph.D. program
- A cumulative and major GPA or 2.5 or better
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty familiar with the related to the RISE Program
All qualified applicants will be interviewed by the Selection Committee. Selected applicants may be interviewed by the advisory committee. The Selection Committee will make the final determination on student admission to the program.
- Hands-on research experience
- Hourly wages (up to but no more than 15 hours per week)
- Opportunity to travel to one scientific conference per year
- Participation in professional development seminars and activities