Construction Date: 1994
Named For: Haywood Lester Wilson
Dedicated October 14, 1994, this coeducational residence facility houses 400 students, two large conference rooms, and a laundry facility. It is named for Haywood Lester Wilson, a 1958 graduate of Winston-Salem State University. A gifted educator, Wilson received an "Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award" and became an assistant principal in the Forsyth County school system in 1961. In 1968, he received a Master of Science degree in educational administration from North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University. In 1969, he was asked by then - WSSU president Kenneth R. Williams to return to his alma mater and assume the position of director of Student Affairs. He earned a Ph. D. in education from Southern Illinois University-Carbondale in 1975, and then returned to Winston-Salem State University as vice chancellor for Student Affairs. Following the departure of Chancellor H. Douglas Covington in 1984, Wilson served as acting chancellor of the university. In 1985, after the appointment of Cleon F. Thompson as chancellor, he returned to his position as Vice Chancellor, and held this position until his untimely death in 1992.