OKelly Library

S. G. Atkins House

S. G. Atkins House

S. G. Atkins House

Construction Date: 1892

Named For: Simon Green and Oleona Pegram Atkins

In 1890, Simon Green Atkins, first president of Slater Industrial Academy (now WSSU) approached the Winston Board of Trade to ask for assistance to build a community that would serve as a model for Black home ownership. His request was granted, and in 1892 Atkins and his family became the first family in the community, named Columbian Heights, when they moved into this building. President Atkins' home was long considered the intellectual and cultural hub for African-Americans living in Forsyth County and the region; today the S.G. Atkins family home is the oldest structure on the WSSU campus.

After the Atkins family moved out of the residence, it was used for various university offices and even broken up inside to serve as a rooming house. In 1979, as a result of effort by Simona Atkins Allen, S.G. Atkins' granddaughter, this structure and several other houses located in the original Columbian Heights community were placed on the National Register of Historic Properties. In 2000, the university received $500,000 from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to restore the Simon Green Atkins House. In 2002, the house was moved from its original location to an area across from the Alumni Building, in order to make room for the Computer Science Facility. Perkins Eastman Architects PC restored and renovated the Simon Green Atkins House; its 1800 square feet of office space is currently used as the Winston-Salem State University Welcome Center. It also houses the offices of the WSSU Foundation.

Winston-Salem State University

601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive

Winston-Salem, NC 27110

Phone: (336) 750-2000



Library
Athletics
FOLLOW WSSU
FacebookTwitterYoutube
FlickrBlog
Copyright © 2010-2014 Winston-Salem State University