OKelly Library

F. L. Atkins School of Health Sciences

F. L. Atkins School of Health Sciences

F. L. Atkins School of Health Sciences

Construction Date: 1981

Named For: Francis Loguen Atkins

The F.L. Atkins School of Health Sciences was constructed in 1981 to house the expanding nursing program after the original building, located on another part of the campus, was deemed inadequate. In 2002, the building received 32,700 square foot addition and 11,000 square renovation. Currently, all health-related degree programs are housed in this building.

The building is named for Francis Loguen Atkins, son of Simon Green Atkins and Oleona Pegram Atkins, founders of Slater Industrial Academy (now WSSU). F.L. Atkins received his early education at Slater Industrial Academy and State Normal School. He completed the B.A. degree from Lincoln University in 1920 and M.A. degree from Columbia in 1924. He later returned to Winston-Salem and served in several teaching and administrative positions at Winston-Salem Teachers College (now WSSU). Following the death of his father, Atkins took the reins of the presidency. He served Winston-Salem State University as president from 1934 to 1961. F.L. Atkins died on January 26, 1982 following a brief illness.

Winston-Salem State University

601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive

Winston-Salem, NC 27110

Phone: (336) 750-2000



Library
Athletics
FOLLOW WSSU
FacebookTwitterYoutube
FlickrBlog
Copyright © 2013 Winston-Salem State University