Construction Date: 1938
Named For: William Allen Blair
Originally used as a combination administration building and library, Blair Hall was built in 1938 on the site of the first administration building, Lamson Hall. After the completion of C.G. O'Kelly Library in 1967, Blair Hall was used specifically as an administration building.
Blair Hall's namesake, William Allen Blair, was long time supporter of Simon G. Atkins' work in developing Slater Industrial Academy. Blair was born in 1859 in High Point, North Carolina, and grandson to a prominent Quaker minister and founder of Guilford College. After attending the public schools and taking classes at Guilford College, Blair graduated from Haverford College in 1881. He obtained a second A.B. degree from Harvard in 1882. Blair worked in several career fields throughout his life, serving as a high school principal in both High Point and Winston-Salem before becoming president of People's National Bank of Winston-Salem. This interest later led him to the legal profession and law school. Blair served as a trustee of Slater Industrial Academy/WSTC from 1892 until his death in 1948.