Construction Date: 1964
Named For: Thomas J. Brown
Completed in 1966, Brown Hall serves as a dormitory for male students. The building, which parallels Martin Luther King drive, is named for Thomas J. Brown.
A native of Davie County, North Carolina, Brown matriculated and graduated from the high school department of Slater Industrial Academy (now Winston-Salem State University) in 1902. He then attended Shaw University, where he graduated with the A.B. degree in 1906. After several years as a public school teacher, Brown returned to Slater Industrial Academy and State Normal School in 1911 to serve as principal of the Columbian Heights Practice School for four years. In 1920, he was named postmaster of Station A, which served the Slater Industrial Academy and Normal School campus and the local community. However, he is perhaps best known for his many years of service as an instructor in the Social Sciences, a department which he also chaired when the school became a four-year institution in 1925. Thomas J. Brown retired from his postmaster and instructing duties in 1961, and died in 1976.