OKelly Library

C. G. O'Kelly Library

C. G. O'Kelly Library

C. G. O'Kelly Library

Construction Date: 1967

Named For: Cadd Grant O'Kelly

Improved library services and expansion of the curriculum were the two top priorities of Kenneth R. Williams when he became president of WSSU in 1961. Thus, in 1967, a new library was constructed to replace the existing facilities on the second floor of the Blair Hall administration building. O'Kelly Library received an addition and renovation in 1971, and in 1990, another addition was made to the western part of the building. The library also currently houses CETL (the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning), previously known as CITTLE (the Center for Innovative Teaching, Technology, Learning and Evaluation) and several computer labs.

The library is named for Cadd Grant O'Kelly, second president of Slater Industrial Academy. O'Kelly was a native North Carolinian who obtained the Master of Arts degree from Lincoln University in 1885, and three years later completed the Doctor of Divinity degree from Lincoln University. In 1895, O'Kelly came to Slater Industrial Academy and State Normal School as a teacher of drama, music and art. He left a year later to serve as president of Kittrell College, but returned to Slater two years later as professor of English, Bible and music. In 1904, he was elected principal (now president) of Slater Industrial Academy and Normal School. He resigned in 1910 to accept the vice presidency of the National Training School at Durham (now North Carolina Central University). He remained at NCCU for twenty-five years. O'Kelly died on May 26, 1939, in Moorestown, New Jersey.

Winston-Salem State University

601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive

Winston-Salem, NC 27110

Phone: (336) 750-2000



Library
Athletics
FOLLOW WSSU
FacebookTwitterYoutube
FlickrBlog
Copyright © 2010-2014 Winston-Salem State University