OKelly Library

C. E. Gaines Center

C. E. Gaines Center

C. E. Gaines Center

Construction Date: 1976

Named For: Clarence Edward "Bighouse" Gaines

Added to the old Whitaker Gymnasium in 1976, this facility included an Olympic-sized swimming pool, dance studio, basketball court, and administrative offices for the Department of Health and Physical Education. When this department was moved to the Old Nursing Building, the athletic director's office and staff occupied the facility.

The building is named in honor of legendary Winston-Salem State University coach and athletic director Clarence E. "Bighouse" Gaines. A native of Paducah, Kentucky, in high school Gaines excelled academically, played basketball, was an All-State football player, and played trumpet in the school band. Gaines then attended Morgan State College where he was an All-American football player and participated on the basketball and track teams. Following graduation in 1945, Gaines became a coach and teacher at Winston-Salem State University, where he remained for 47 years. Because of his success as a coach, teacher, and mentor, C.E. "Bighouse" Gaines was inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in 1982. When Gaines retired from Winston-Salem State University in 1993, only Adolph Rupp had amassed more career wins as a college basketball coach.

Winston-Salem State University

601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive

Winston-Salem, NC 27110

Phone: (336) 750-2000



Library
Athletics
FOLLOW WSSU
FacebookTwitterYoutube
FlickrBlog
Copyright © 2010-2014 Winston-Salem State University