OKelly Library

A. H. Ray Infirmary

A. H. Ray Infirmary

A. H. Ray Infirmary

Construction Date: 1952

Named For: Alexander Hamilton Ray

The A.H. Ray Health Building was completed in 1952. It contained examination and treatment rooms, facilities for training students in health and personal hygiene, a health library, and offices for the school doctor, dentist, and nurse. The A.H. Ray Health Building currently houses Student Health Services, an outpatient primary care facility for WSSU students.

The building is named for Alexander Hamilton Ray, a prominent African-American physician. Ray was a graduate of Shaw University's Leonard Medical School in Raleigh, North Carolina, and did advanced work in medicine and surgery at some of the leading medical centers in the nation. Ray and several other physicians established a private clinic for African-Americans in Winston-Salem, one of the first in the South. In 1936, the Winston-Salem Teachers College Board of Trustees elected him to serve as the college's physician, a position that became full-time in 1941. Dr. Ray died in New York City on October 15, 1954.

Winston-Salem State University

601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive

Winston-Salem, NC 27110

Phone: (336) 750-2000



Library
Athletics
FOLLOW WSSU
FacebookTwitterYoutube
FlickrBlog
Copyright © 2010-2014 Winston-Salem State University