OKelly Library

R. J. Reynolds Center

R. J. Reynolds Center

R. J. Reynolds Center

Construction Date: 1983

Named For: Richard Joshua Reynolds

Dedicated on May 18, 1984, this 3.1 million dollar structure houses the School of Business, an academic computing center, fourteen classrooms, and a 209-seat lecture hall. The building was funded by a $2.1 million appropriation from the State of North Carolina, a portion of a $1 million gift from R.J. Reynolds Industries, and significant contributions from the Hanes Group, the Kresge Foundation, and Owen-Illinois Company.

Richard J. Reynolds, founder of the Winston-Salem based R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, was born July 20, 1850 in Patrick County, Virginia, to Hardin William and Nancy Cox Reynolds. As a result of his father's wealth as a merchant, farmer, and tobacco manufacturer, Reynolds received private tutoring and later attended Emory and Henry College. In 1874, Reynolds decided to expand his tobacco business, and bought a one hundred-foot piece of property from the Congregation of the United Brethren of Salem, easily accessible to the railroad system. There he built his first factory, a 38 x 40 ft. building beside the railroad to Greensboro. R.J. Reynolds frequently used the profits from his company to support philanthropic efforts, including donations to Slater Industrial Academy and Slater Hospital. Although Reynolds died July 29, 1918 after a long bout with pancreatic cancer, R.J. Reynolds Industries continued its founder's philanthropic vision.

Winston-Salem State University

601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive

Winston-Salem, NC 27110

Phone: (336) 750-2000



Library
Athletics
FOLLOW WSSU
FacebookTwitterYoutube
FlickrBlog
Copyright © 2010-2014 Winston-Salem State University