OKelly Library

K. R. William Auditorium

K. R. William Auditorium

K. R. William Auditorium

Construction Date: 1975

Named For: Kenneth Raynor Williams

The K.R. Williams Auditorium, an 1800-seat facility, was built to replace the Fries Auditorium which was destroyed in 1970. The auditorium and adjacent sculpture garden were dedicated on April 6, 1975. The facility is named for Kenneth Raynor Williams, a 1928 graduate of Columbian Heights High School. Williams received his A.B. degree from Morehouse College and the M.A., S.T.B., and Ph.D. from Boston University. Williams served as chaplain for 3 years during World War II. From 1946 to 1960, he held various positions at Winston-Salem Teachers College, including history professor, chaplain, James A. Gray professor of religion, and dean of men.

In 1947, Kenneth R. Williams was elected Winston-Salem's first African-American alderman, and in 1961, the Winston-Salem Teachers College Board of Trustees appointed him interim president. On November 11, 1962, Williams was inaugurated as president of Winston-Salem Teachers College. He died in January of 1990.

Winston-Salem State University

601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive

Winston-Salem, NC 27110

Phone: (336) 750-2000



Library
Athletics
FOLLOW WSSU
FacebookTwitterYoutube
FlickrBlog
Copyright © 2013 Winston-Salem State University