Yolanda V. Edwards, Ph.D, CRC
Chair, Professor & Program Coordinator of Rehabilitation Counseling
Dr. Edwards is Professor and Coordinator for Rehabilitation Counseling. She will also teach practicum, cultural and disability course, and placement courses. Edwards has 15 years of experiences in rehabilitation education. Previously, Edwards was Assistant Professor at University of Maryland College Park (UMCP) and University of South Carolina (USC). Since 2002, she has served as a PI and/or director of eight different RSA grants at three different universities. She has authored several articles and books chapters dealing with rehabilitation education, distance education, and minority disability issues on transition and mental health issues. Edwards also has held several leadership positions in state and national professional organization such as: Associate Editor of the Journal of Applied Rehabilitation Counseling (JARC), past president of American Rehabilitation Counseling Association (ARCA, 2008-2009) chair of professional standards for ARCA, past secretary of National Association of Multicultural Rehabilitation Concerns (2005-2009) and serves as reviewer for Rehabilitation Education Journal, Journal of Rehabilitation and Rehabilitation Counseling Education Journal (RCEA).
Research and Project Interests:
Articles in Refereed Journals (* designates referred, + designates invited)
Moore, C.L, Johnson, J., Manyibe, E., Washington, A.L., Uchegbu, N.E., Cross, K.E., Hollis-Staten, B., Turner-Whitaker, T., & Edwards, Y. (2012) Policy and Systems Issues Limiting the Participation of Historically Black Colleges and Universities in the Federal Disability Research Agenda. Rehabilitation, Research, Policy, and Education, 26(1), 67-82.
*Edwards, Y.V., Betters, C., Caldwell, T., Chamberlain, Fowler. D, Rogers, R, & Worthy, K. (2011). Racial/Ethnic Differences in Transitional Vocational Rehabilitation. Rehabilitation Counselors and Educators Journal. 5(1) 40-48.
*Edwards, D., Jackson, V, Graves, H, Hudson, D. Edwards, YV (2011). Multi-Disciplinary Collaborative Teaching Approach at Health Sciences Programs at Historically Black Colleges and Universities. Journal of Best Practices in Health Professions Diversity: Research, Education and Policy 601-614.
*Talley, W., Edwards, Y.V...., Smiling, Q., Smith, E. (2007). Tomorrows Leaders: Recruiting and retaining the next generation of rehabilitation professionals. Rehabilitation Administration, 31 (2), 91-100.
Chapters in Books:
Boston, Q., Edwards, D., Duncan, Edwards, Y.V..... & Mendez, E. (2013). Supported Employment. In J. Andrews & Faubion, C. (3rd Eds.) Rehabilitation Services: An Introduction for the Human Services Professional. (Submitted January 2012)
Larkin, V, Edwards, Y., Edwards, D, Wilson, K.B. (2013). Multicultural in Diversity. In J. Andrews & Faubion, C. (3rd Eds.) Rehabilitation Services: An Introduction for the Human Services Professional (Submitted January 2012)
Edwards, Y.V....., Porter, D. & Edwards, D. (2007). Rehabilitation Technology: It's More Than Assistive Technology. In C. Flowers, Leung, P., Sanderson, P., & Talley, W. (Eds.), Diversity in Rehabilitation.
(11 grants proposed at 5.4 million, 8 awarded grants - $4.7 million dollars)
Selected Grants Awarded
- Principal Investigator/co-Director. Capacity Building Grant VR Rural Transition for Underrepresented Groups. Proposed 6/10/2010 from U.S. Department of Education Office of Special Education Rehabilitation Services. Budget: 190,000 per year for five years - $950,000. (Winston Salem State University). Received 10/2010 to 10/2012 $589,800.
- Principle Investigator/Director: Long term Training Grant: Rehabilitation Counseling Masters. Submitted 11/2007. Awarded May 2008- 2013 from U.S. Department of Education Office of Special Education Rehabilitation Services. Budget: 150,000 per year for five years ($750,000). (Winston Salem State University).
- Principal Investigator/co-Director. Project Title: Long term Training Grant: Deafness & Hard Hearing. Submitted 11/2007 and Awarded August 2008 - 2013 from Department of Education Office and Special Education and Rehabilitation Services Administration. Budget: 100,000 per year for five years ($500,000). (Winston Salem State University).
- Edwards, Y., Edwards, D., & Whittaker, T. (2010). Successful Strategies for VR for HBCUs. RSA Directors Conference. Arlington, VA. August 2, 2010.
- Edwards, Y. (2010). Predictors of Success on the CRC Exam for Minority Servicing Institutions rehabilitation Counseling Programs: What does it mean for HCBUs? National Association of Multicultural Rehabilitation Concerns. Las Vegas, NV. July 24, 2010.
- Edwards, Y. & Caldwell, T. (2010). Racial/Ethnic Differences in Transitional Vocational Rehabilitation". National Council on Rehabilitation Education Conference. Manhattan Beach, CA. April 8, 2010.
- Edwards, Y., Burney, N. & Caldwell, T. (2010). "Predictors of Success on the CRC Exam for Rehabilitation Counseling Programs". National Council on Rehabilitation Education Conference. Manhattan Beach, CA. April 8, 2010.
- Edwards, Y.V., Betters, C., Rogers, R., Caldwell, T., Fowler, D., Chamberlin, H. & Worthy, K. (2009). Serving Rural Youth with Special Needs: A Comparison of African American and Latino Youth in the State of North Carolina. National Association of Multicultural Rehabilitation Concerns 16th Annual Conference. Memphis, TN. July 25. 2009.
- REH 5303 - Group Counseling
- REH 5308 – Practicum
- REH 5309 - Ethics
- REH 6301 – Vocational Placement
- REH 6304 – Human Growth
- REH 6306 - Rehabilitation Research
- REH 6310 - Project
- REH 6307 - Psychosocial & Cultural Diversity Issues
- REH 6901 - Internship
- Sylvia Walker Education Award, 2012; National Association Multicultural Rehabilitation Concerns.
- Joyce Keener Meritorious Service Award, 2006; National Association Multicultural Rehabilitation Concerns.
- Henry C. Welcome Fellowship 2003-2006; $20,000 grant research and education expenses. Granting Agency: Maryland Higher Education Commission.