MSN-DNP : Admissions Criteria
Application Deadline: February 1, 2014
All materials must be received by the application deadline.
- Master’s Degree in Nursing: A master’s degree with a major in advanced practice nursing from a degree program accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education or the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission OR
- Meet MSN Graduation Requirements: Applicants who apply while in the last year of their graduate program must demonstrate they meet graduation requirements.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts from all schools attended, both undergraduate and graduate, must be sent directly to the WSSU Admissions Office in a sealed institutional envelope. WSSU students and graduates will need to submit official WSSU transcripts.
- GPA: Applicants must demonstrate a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or greater (4.0-point scale) on MSN courses completed.
- GRE or MAT Scores: Competitive scores on the Graduate Record Examination (general test only) or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) within the past 5 years. If you are sending your GRE test scores the WSSU school code is 5909. If you are sending your MAT test scores the WSSU school code is 2661.
- Nursing License: An active and unencumbered North Carolina RN license and APRN license (or ability to obtain licensure).
- Curriculum Vita: Submit a curriculum vita or resume reflecting education, professional work experiences, awards, honors and other achievements.
- DNP Essay: Submit an essay of approximately 1000 words describing Capstone Project Idea.
- Prerequisite: A 3-credit hour statistics and graduate level research course taken within 5 years from an accredited college/university before matriculation into the DNP program.
- 3 Letters of Recommendation: A letter is required from a doctoral-prepared academician, a supervisor in an employment setting, and a practicing RN or APN familiar with the applicant’s intellectual ability, academic achievement, and professional commitment.
- Criminal Background Check and 12 Panel Drug Screen. A state/federal criminal background check and 12 panel drug screen are required for all applicants. Once admitted, some clinical agencies require annual background checks or affidavits. An annual drug screen may also be required. Costs for these requirements are the responsibility of the applicant/student.
- Interview: An interview is required by the DNP Admission Committee.
- Optional- Scholarship Application: DNP students are encouraged to apply for scholarships/traineeships. Students applying for scholarships are required to file a FAFSA (FREE Application for Federal Student Aid) Form with the WSSU Office of Financial Aid.