Dr. Jaime Orejan
Office: Anderson Center, Suite 143-C
- Ph.D., Teaching and Sport Administration, University of Southern Mississippi, 1995
- MS., Coaching and Sport Administration, University of Southern Mississippi, 1991
- BA., International Trade and Finance, University of Southern Mississippi, 1984
Dr. Jaime Orejan is an assistant professor of sport management at Winston Salem State University in Winston-Salem North Carolina. Previously he was a professor of sport management at Elon University, Desales University, Loras College, and The University of Southern Mississippi.
Dr. Orejan’s work during the last few years has focused on the management and marketing of soccer in the United States and why it has failed to succeed as it had been expected by the many pundits. His research is concentrated in the managerial and marketing mistakes made by the US Soccer Federation (USSF), and Major League Soccer (MLS), particularly in their failure to attract the Hispanic market and what can be done to reverse that trend.
Another aspect of his research interests focuses in the history of soccer and the different varieties of football worldwide.
A third area of his research interest is the importance of cultural understanding in marketing and management of sport, entertainment, travel and tourism, and the leisure industry in general, including the value of second language acquisition in this ever growing global economy.
Professionally, Dr. Orejan has been involved with the National Intramural Recreational Sports Association (NIRSA) where he served in the curriculum development committee, and is a member of the North American Society for Sport Management (NASSM), where he served on the national approval review board. He is also a member of the Sport Marketing Association (SMA), and in the board of directors of the Latin-American Sport Management Association (ALGEDE). Moreover, he has presented and published research projects at the national and international level. Dr. Orejan has also contributed substantially in committee service and volunteer service to: the Red Cross, United Way, and Women Sports Foundation, among other professional organizations
- SPM 1301Introduction to Sport Management
- SPM 3311 Finance and Economics in Sport
- SPM 3312 Sport Communication
- SPM 3301 Sport Marketing
- SPM 3346 Legal Environment of Sport and Recreation
- Orejan, J. (2011). The 1966 FIFA World Cup. In Sports Around the World: History, Culture, and Practice. 2, 80-83. ABC-CLIO Books, CA.
- Orejan, J. (2011). Traditional Latin American Sports. In Sports Around the World: History, Culture, and Practice. 3, 141-144. ABC-CLIO Books, CA.
- Orejan, J. (2011) Football/Soccer: History and Tactics. McFarland. Jefferson, NC
- Orejan, J. (2010). A Descriptive History of Major Tactical Formations used in Football Association (Soccer) from 1863 to the Present. In Christos Anagnostopoulos, (Ed). International Sport: A Research Synthesis. (pp. 43-56). Athens Institute for Education and Research. Athens, Greece.
- Letter, G., Orejan, J., & Drane D. (2008). Describing sport management practitioners’ information technology (IT) competence and training need. The Sport Journal. Vol 11 (1) Winter, USSA
- Goss, B.D., Jubenville, C.J., Vought, E., & Orejan, J. (2007). Institutional selection factors of student-athletes at small colleges and universities. Journal of Marketing for Higher Education Vol 16 (2) p 105-134.
- Letter, G, & Orejan, J. (February, 2006). The Current and Potential Impact of Partnerships Between Higher Education and External Agencies. The Chronicle of Kinesiology & Physical Education in Higher Education, 17,(1).
- Orejan, J. (2006). History of Gaelic Football and the Gaelic Athletic Association. Sport Management and Related Topics Journal (SMART). Vol 2 (2) p. 45-51.
- Rec Sports University of Southern Mississippi - Outstanding Alumnus Award-1994-1995
- University of Southern Mississippi -1999 Tom Shoemaker Alumnus of the Year
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers – 2000, 2002 and 2005 editions
- Who’s Who in the 21st Century – 2001 edition
- Outstanding Intellectuals of the 21st Century – 2003 edition
- Orejan, J. (October, 2012) Measuring the effectiveness of corporate stadium signage and sponsorship of the Seattle Sounders FC of MLS. The Sport Marketing Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Orejan, J., & Letter, G. (October, 2011) The importance of FIT in sport sponsorship. The Sport Marketing Conference, Houston TX.
- Orejan, J., & Letter, G. (September, 2011) The value of practical experience to enhance the sport marketing curriculum. European Association of Sport Management, Madrid, Spain.
- Orejan, J., & Letter, G. (October 2010). Marketing the athletic department to student-athletes at HBCU. The Sport Marketing Association Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Letter, G., & Orejan, J. (October 2010). Administrators within professional sports leagues and individual teams should enforce a socially responsible strategy regarding athletes’ endorsements. The Sport Marketing Association Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Orejan, J., & Letter, G. (October 2009). Attracting the Hispanic consumer to MLS. The Sport Marketing Association Conference. Cleveland, OH.
- Letter, G., & Orejan, J. (October, 2009). Endorsements by David Beckham and the influence on targeted consumers after three years presence in the United States. The Sport Marketing Association Conference, Cleveland, OH.
- Orejan, J. (March 2009). Lessons learned in marketing soccer to Hispanics. The United States Youth Soccer Association (USYSA) Conference, San Jose, CA.
- Letter, G., & Orejan, J. (November 2008). Endorsement recognition and intent to purchase of David Beckham: Prior to playing in MLS vs. Post initial year of MLS participation. The Sport, Entertainment and Venues Tomorrow Conference (SEVT), Columbia, SC.
- Orejan, J., & Letter, G. (November 2008). Measuring the Effectiveness of Corporate Stadium Signage in MLS Venues on Recollection and Intention to Purchase among the Hispanic Segment. The Sport, Entertainment and Venues Tomorrow Conference (SEVT), Columbia, SC.
- Orejan, J. (May 2008). A Descriptive History of Football and Tactics Used in Football Association (soccer) from 1863 to the Present. The 8th International Conference on Sports: Economic, Management, Marketing & Social Aspects. Athens, Greece.
- Letter, G., Orejan, J., & Drane, D. (November 2007) Marketing value of David Beckham to MLS. The Sport Marketing Association Conference, Pittsburgh, PA.