OSR Grant Opportunities
All currently enrolled Winston-Salem State University undergraduate and graduate students in good academic standing are eligible to apply for a research grant of up to $500 once each academic year. The grant is designed to fund costs associated with outside-the-classroom, faculty-mentored, student-based research projects or creative endeavors. While these funds are not meant for classroom work, in some instances research which is in a capstone course might qualify. Funding can be used for research supplies or research related expenses (e.g., travel to a site for data collection). Funds may also be used to pay for the costs associated with designing or printing a poster for a research presentation.
The OSR Research Grant is not designed to cover the following:
- Costs associated with class projects, class assignments or any activities that are associated with a traditional "in the classroom" course.
- Supplement funding for tuition, course expenses, study abroad trips, student teaching, training or internships.
- Food and beverage expenses of any kind
- Gift certificate/gift card purchases
- Travel to conferences
- Salary support
Any questions may be directed to the Office of Student Research via email.
Frequently Asked Questions
Students that are currently (in the semester applying) NOT on academic probation are considered in good academic standing.
Students can apply for a grant more than once but may only receive one OSR Research Grant per academic year.
No, the OSR Research Grant is for research supplies or related expenses. Students who expect to incur travel expenses related to presenting their research are encouraged to also apply for a Student Travel Award.
In order to justify awarding a research grant, the Office of Student Research must have a descriptive project title, a detailed project description and budget justification. Projects should be discussed and reviewed with the faculty mentor prior to submission. The following are some suggestions for your proposal preparation:
- Discuss and design the proposed research project with your faculty mentor.
- Determine the specific aims, goals or objectives.
- Establish the appropriate study design or methods.
- Decide on the materials needed for the project and obtain specifics regarding cost for each item.
- Explain the purpose of the requested items as they relate to the research question and methods.
- If applicable, prepare the appropriate IRB (working with human participants) or IACUC (working with animals) documentation. Please see the Office of Sponsored Programs research compliance for further information regarding research protections.
- Complete CITI Training
Have your faculty mentor complete the OSR Faculty Mentor Student Recommendation Form.
If applicable, determine the need for IRB or IACUC approval, as funds cannot be spent until approval has been submitted to the Office of Student Research. If approved, please submit the date in which approval was granted.
The deadline for all OSR Research Grant applications is the 15th of each month with award notification made by the end of the month. We must have both your online application and signed OSR Faculty Mentor Student Recommendation Form to be consider for award.
- All Research Grants MUST be completely expended by the end of the fiscal year in which they are awarded. Research funding does NOT roll over at the end of each fiscal year (June 30).
- All OSR funding is awarded to STUDENTS only and must be expended and reimbursed directly by the awarded student. Faculty cannot be reimbursed for expenses claimed on any OSR grant application.
- Original receipts or invoices will be required for reimbursement and must be in the student's name.
- Receipts must be not be more than thirty days old and must reflect charges made after official grant award date.
- Students MUST meet with their departmental administrative assistant and faculty mentor before any money is spent.
- All WSSU policies and procedures must be adhered to when spending down research grant monies.
- Any non-approved expenditures will be the sole responsibility of the student.
Grant Recipient Requirements
- If possible, students should present their work at the WSSU Scholarship Day event held in the spring.
- At the completion of the research, grantees are asked to submit a final report to the OSR explaining how the award was used.
- Grantees are asked to acknowledge the Office of Student Research on any presentations or publications that result from the research conducted through the grant.
Applications received by the 15th of each month will be reviewed prior to the end of the month. Award notifications will be made at the end of each month.
At the completion of the research, please submit an OSR Final Report Survey. Please be prepared to upload a project abstract/summary at the end of this survey.