302.7 - Undergraduate Degree Requirements
University Group Policy #302.7
In order to earn an undergraduate degree from Winston-Salem State University, a candidate for any baccalaureate degree must have met the following requirements.
- Minimum of one hundred twenty (120) semester hours (SH) earned with an overall grade point average of 2.0.
- Satisfy all academic requirements specified by major and minor programs including grade point average.
- Complete the general education curriculum requirements.
- Successfully complete at least 25% of SH required for the degree in courses taught at WSSU, a minimum of 30 hours and satisfy major requirements as set forth in Paragraph 2.
- Have no more than thirty (30) SH of correspondence and/or credit by means of assessment applied to the degree, and only a maximum of fifteen (15) percent of total hours required for graduation earned through correspondence.
All degree candidates, including transfer students, are allowed six years from the date of enrollment at the university to complete the curriculum under the requirements and regulations in effect at the time of enrollment. After that period of time, the current requirements and regulations must be met. For this purpose, the six years will be counted from August 1 of the year of enrollment to August 1 of the year of graduation. Substitutions and/or changes in course requirements must be recommended by the department head and approved by the dean.
Graduation with Honors
Candidates for graduation eligible for Latin honors must complete at least sixty (60) semester hours of graded course work offered by Winston-Salem State University and will be designated on the commencement program as:
|Summa Cum Laude||Students having attained a grade point average of 3.80-4.00|
|Magna Cum Laude||Students having attained a grade point average of 3.50-3.79|
|Cum Laude||Students having attained a grade point average of 3.00-3.49|
Candidates for graduation eligible for honors who have completed at least 30 semester hours and less than 60 semester hours of graded course work offered by Winston-Salem State University (traditional and non-traditional delivery) will be designated on the commencement program as follows:
|Distinction||Students having attained a grade point average of 3.00-4.00|
A student who already holds a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution may receive a second baccalaureate degree by the following means:
- Completing a minimum of 30 additional semester hours at WSSU beyond the hours required for the first degree, for each subsequent degree.
- Satisfying upper division requirements in the major field as recommended and approved by the department and approved by the department chair granting the additional degree.
- Completing other requirements or pertinent supporting courses as approved by appropriate department chairperson or dean.
This policy is applicable to undergraduate students at Winston-Salem State University.
Responsible Division: Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
Authority: Board of Trustees
- Amended December 11, 2015