800.4 - Athletic Venue Entry
University Group Policy #800.4
I. Policy StatementThis policy sets forth the guidelines and restrictions for items that are allowed in Bowman Gray Stadium and C.E. Gaines Center, while under the authority and use of Winston-Salem State University and its associated entities, as a measure to provide a safe environment and to expedite entry during events hosted by Winston-Salem State University.
A. Permissible Bags
All bags brought into Bowman Gray Stadium and the C.E. Gaines Center must meet the description of a permissible bag as identified in this policy.
Permissible bags are:
- Bags that are untinted and clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12 x 6 x 12; or
- One-gallon clear plastic freezer bags (Ziploc or similar); or
- Small clutch bags, approximately the size of a hand (4.5” x 6.5”);
- Exceptions to bags may be granted for medically-necessary items, working personnel, and media.
All bags, including permissible bags, are subject to search by the university prior to entry at Bowman Gray Stadium and C. E. Gaines Center. Any prohibited item will be immediately confiscated to ensure the safety and security of spectators, student-athletes, and staff.
B. Prohibited items
In order to ensure the safety and security of spectators, student-athletes, and staff, the following items are strictly prohibited inside the stadium arena and will be immediately confiscated:
- Artificial noise makers
- Bags that do not meet permissible bag standards set forth in this policy
- Coolers or containers
- Explosives, firearms, or weapons of any kind
- Illegal drugs
- Outside food or beverages
- Pets, with the exception of Service Animals as defined by federal law.
Any individual who leaves the stadium after entry, including individuals returning prohibited items to their cars prior to confiscation, will be required to purchase a new ticket for re-entry. There is no free re-entry at Bowman Gray Stadium.
This policy is applicable to all faculty, staff, students, visitors, and guests of Winston-Salem State University campus athletic venues. The university reserves the right to modify this policy for any event.
IV. ComplianceAny unlawful items are subject to confiscation and the person in possession of such items is subject to arrest. The decision to return confiscated items will be the sole discretion of Winston-Salem State University.
Responsible Division: Athletics
- Adopted September 17, 2015
- Amended with Name Change September 5, 2019