800.9 - Key and Door Control
University Group Policy #800.9
This policy governs the control of keys and promotes the safety and security of the University community and its property and applies to all WSSU controlled buildings and university departments.
- Building keys will be issued based on the level of appropriate need for access in accordance with university procedures.
- Department Heads and/or Supervisors will determine what level of access is appropriate for each employee.
- Department Heads and/or Supervisors may delegate some of these duties to the Building Coordinator for a given building. Any delegation(s) of duties must be made in writing.
- Individual key holders are responsible for the safekeeping and return of keys issued to them upon termination of access. Any employee on extended leave may be required to return their keys unless they can show a need to keep them and is approved by the Department Head or Supervisor. Employees may be held financially responsible for the cost of replacing lost or stolen keys, including but not limited to the cost of re-keying all locks compromised by the missing or unreturned keys.
- Documentation forms and tracking of all issued keys will be implemented by the University Facilities Management Department with the assistance and coordinated efforts from other associated, authorizing Departments.
- Annual Key Audits are initiated by the Facilities Management department. Key tracking logs and audit records are subject to review by Campus Police and/or Internal Audit at any time. These logs and records constitute sensitive public security information under law and will not be subject to public disclosure.
- Failure to comply with these policies and their associated procedures may be grounds for disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal.
Applies to all WSSU controlled buildings and university departments.
Responsible Division: Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration
Authority: Board of Trustees
- Adopted March 15, 2013