- WSSU is a regional institution that consistently ranks among the best public universities in the South.
- WSSU offers degree programs within four “academic centers of excellence” – Health Services, Science and Technology, Teaching & Learning and Financial Services. Students gain the opportunity to contribute and succeed in growing industries, while promoting regional economic development by addressing increasing demand for new workforce skills.
- WSSU’s flexible curriculum provides multiple entry points to accommodate diverse student backgrounds and life situations, ranging from full-time study for recent high school graduates, to part-time and distance learning programs for working adults.
- WSSU is an integral contributor to the Piedmont Region’s economic growth and development. The university prepares graduates with general knowledge and specialized skills that address the workforce needs of emerging industries, thereby supporting the transformation of North Carolina’s economy from one dependent upon tobacco and textiles to one built largely upon the health care industry, financial services, education and information technology.
- In a world increasingly driven by digital technology, WSSU prepares students to use computers and other advanced devices as powerful tools for continuous learning, career advancement and entertainment.
- WSSU offers students more than technical skills. Through curriculum, field experiences and faculty interaction, the university seeks to inspire a passion for community service, a goal reflected in the school motto, “Enter to Learn, Depart to Serve.”