The MARC U*STAR Program Selection Committee will evaluate the application and the three letters of recommendation of each candidate . Students must be enrolled full-time in undergraduate majors at WSSU in disciplines useful in the biomedical sciences i.e., chemistry, biochemistry, biology, microbiology, computer science, exercise science, math or psychology. In addition student MUST have demonstrated high academic ability in course work, i.e., an A-B average and strong letters of recommendation from college or university science faculty and/or administrators.
MARC Scholars will be selected based on the following criteria.
- Full-time academic standing at WSSU.
- Junior or senior standing (i.e., 60 or more completed semester hours) have a maximum of two years to graduation.
- A declared major in the sciences including biology, physics, chemistry, psychology, and computer science and mathematics.
- Demonstration, in formal and informal contact between student and faculty in laboratory and lecture classes, of a real interest in biomedical and behavioral research and motivation to do independent research.
- Demonstrated potential and interest in pursing a Ph.D. in the biomedical sciences or other health related research or the M.D./Ph.D.
- A cumulative and major GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty familiar with the applicant's academic performance and potential for independent research.
- Consent to complete the prescribed course of study and activities related to the MARC Program.
All qualified applicants will be interviewed by the Selection Committee. Selected applicants may be interviewed by the MARC U*STAR Advisory Committee. The Selection Committee will make the final determination on student admission into the program.