Obtaining A Social Security Number/Card
The Social Security Administration (SSA) will only issue Social Security numbers (SSN) and cards to those students who need one for employment purposes. You cannot qualify for a card as ID or in order to get a driver's license. You may only apply for a card if you meet one of the following conditions:
- For on-campus work
- For student with approved Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT)
- For other special cases of off-campus work approved by the USCIS (EAD required)
If a student meets one of the conditions above, then s/he may apply for a Social Security Number by bringing the following documents to the Social Security Administration office:
- A copy of his/her current I-20 or DS-2019
- His/her passport and a copy of the information and visa pages
- A letter of offer from the office or company employing the student. The letter should state the dates and location of employment
- A letter from the DSO in the Office of International Program stating you are a student in good standing and eligible for employment
- An EAD card (if applicable)
- A SSN application, which can be found at the official site of the U.S. Social Security Administration.
The location and contact information for the closest Social Security Administration office is:
5205 University Parkway
Winston-Salem, NC 27106
9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The office can be reached by public transportation by taking the WSSU Downtown Shuttle (leaving from RJR every hour on the hour from 9 to 4) or the WSTA lines 3, 26 or 30 to the Downtown bus station. From there, take the #23 bus to the Social Security stop.
**The SSA office if usually quite crowded, so give yourself adequate time to complete the process.