The Office of Payroll Services works to provide timely and accurate payments to all the employees of Winston-Salem State University. Payroll Services strives to provide quality services in accordance with the guidelines set forth by the state of North Carolina and Federal government agencies and to be in compliance with all Federal and State regulations, thus leaving a clear audit trail of all transactions.
We welcome input from all faculty and staff regarding our services. The Payroll Office is located on the first floor of Eller Hall and reports to the Associate Controller.
Mandatory Status for All Employees
- This I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form must be completed in the Human Resources Department at the time of hire for each employee. The purpose of the I-9 form is to document that each new employee is authorized to work in the United States.
- All employees must have a Social Security Number in order to be paid.
- All employees must fill out Federal (W-4 ) and State (NC-4 ) Withholding Allowance Certificates. If these forms are not on file in the Payroll Office at the time that payroll is being processed, the assumption is that the employee is single with no exemptions.
- Direct Deposit of pay is mandatory for all permanent, student and temporary university employees. Employees paid at month end, can elect two banks for remittance. Employees paid bi-weekly; which include students and hourly temps, may only elect one.
- Employees must notify the payroll office of any change to their bank account information. This includes notice of a frozen or closed account. If payroll is not notified, the employees pay will not complete the direct deposit process and the employee will not be paid as scheduled. The employee will not receive payment until funds have been returned from the bank in question. This transaction may take from 8 to 12 days.
Web Time Entry and for Employees
All employees electronically record their time worked on a web-based time sheet/leave report and submit it directly to their supervisor using just a few quick keystrokes. Supervisors can electronically monitor employee time sheet/leave report progress, approve time sheets/leave reports for payment and review time sheet/leave report history. Web-Time Entry has not only eliminated multitudes of paper time sheets, but has eliminated hours of manual processing.