North Carolina Residency Requirements
This page is a resource for students interested in applying for North Carolina Residency for Tuition purposes. A legal resident for tuition purposes is a student who has demonstrated that he or she has been a North Carolina legal resident for at least twelve (12) consecutive months immediately preceding the school term for which they seek residency,
For additional detailed information, please review the links provided, including the North Carolina Residency Manual.
REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICATION
Under North Carolina law, to qualify for in-state tuition for a given term you must prove:
- that you have established your legal residence (domicile) in North Carolina.
- that you have maintained that domicile for at least twelve (12) consecutive months before the beginning of the term,
- that you were physically present in the state, and
- that you intend to make North Carolina a permanent home indefinitely, rather than being in North Carolina solely to attend college.
When you apply to the Office of Admissions, your initial residency determination is based on the information you provide on your application. If you were born in North Carolina and have lived in the state all your life, you will undeniably be automatically classified as a North Carolina resident. If you are classified as an out-of-state resident and feel that you are a North Carolina resident, you may complete the Application for NC Residency Reclassification form. Be sure to adhere to all deadlines for submitting your application.
SPECIAL PROVISIONS AND BENEFITS
Certain students such as public school teachers or those in the military (or their dependents) may be eligible for tuition benefits. There are also special provisions for Non U.S. Citizens, Minors or Married persons. The following supplemental forms may be required in addition to the student’s Application for NC Residency Reclassification form.
- Minors complete the Parent Affidavit form.
- Non U.S. Citizens complete the Non U.S. Citizen Supplemental form.
- Married Students complete the Spouses of NC Residents form.
- Family member of a deceased or disabled emergency worker complete the Tuition Benefits for Family Members of Deceased or Disabled Emergency Workers form.
- Active Duty Military of Dependent Relative complete the Special Tuition Benefits for Military form.
- NC National Guard member complete the Special Tuition Benefits for National Guard Personnel form.
- For Teacher Certification and Professional Development complete the NC Teachers Certification and Professional Development form.
- For general information read Frequently Asked Questions for residency.
PROCESS, APPEALS AND REMINDERS
Once your application is received, it will be reviewed and a decision will be made. If a decision cannot be made as a result of inadequate documentation, you will be notified via your WSSU email. If the documentation requested is not received within two (2) weeks, a decision will be made based upon what information is provided. If you do not qualify for classification as a NC Resident for Tuition Purposes; you will be notified with instructions for an appeal if you choose to exercise this option.
When you are applying for NC Residency for Tuition Purposes, be sure to complete ALL sections of the application. Attach all required supporting documentation. All documentation must be SIGNED and DATED. If there are any special conditions that apply to you, or if you are eligible for benefits, be sure to complete the necessary forms. PLEASE NOTE: Supporting documentation may not be returned. Students should retain copies of all supporting documents submitted.