Winston-Salem State University holds dear specific foundational principles that gave rise to its current form and continue to sustain its life force and mission. These include an appreciation for the ideals of justice, equality, democracy, liberation, the humane treatment of all people, and the development of the spiritual self and community. Winston-Salem State University is a living organism whose nourishment is derived in large part through the successful cultivation of its students and community.
Guided by a commitment to excellence in all things, Winston-Salem State University, a historically black liberal arts college, assumes a special responsibility for teaching students about the history and culture of black people. The College seeks to develop men with disciplined minds, emphasizing the continuing search for truth as a liberating force.Winston-Salem State University prepares its men for leadership and service through instructional programs and extra-curricular activities that:
- Develop skills in oral and written communications, analytical and critical thinking, and interpersonal relationships
- Foster an understanding and appreciation of the elements and evolution of various cultures and the nature of the physical universe
- Foster understanding and appreciation of the specific knowledge and skills needed for the pursuit of professional careers and/or graduate study
- Cultivate the personal attributes of confidence, tolerance, morality, ethical behavior, humility, a global perspective and commitment to social justice
- Above all I will prioritize my growth and evolution for the benefit of myself, my school and my community
- I acknowledge that meaningful contributions require collaboration and innovation and I am committed to both ideals.
- I abhor shortcuts. I will do the work necessary to produce excellence and I will encourage my peers to do the same.
- I will respect, honor and protect women.