Distinguished Alumni Awards
Purpose and Philosophy
Winston-Salem State University values our alumni accomplishments and will recognize and honor its distinguished alumni annually during the Founders Day Convocation. The purpose of the annual award is to recognize outstanding alumni for their individual achievements, contributions to their industries or professions, service to their community, who demonstrate the motto of the University, “Enter to Learn. Depart to Serve.
A graduate of Winston-Salem State University who meets the criteria outlined below. A person who is employed at Winston-Salem State University or a current member of the WSSU Board of Trustees is ineligible for this award.
The Chancellor will appoint an awards committee of at least three and no more than five University leaders to select the award recipients from among the nominations it receives. The selection of Award recipients is subject to the approval of the Awards Committee.
The Winston-Salem State University Distinguished Alumni Awards are intended to honor the service of alumni in any one or more of the following areas:
- honor an alumnus/alumna who has performed outstanding public service throughout his/her career.
- honor an alumnus/alumna who has shown dedication and commitment to the betterment of their community and has shown the qualities of intellect, integrity, leadership, service, and responsibility.
- Honors an alumnus/alumna who has led an extraordinary career showing commitment to their craft and dedication to their advancement.
- Honors an alumnus/alumna whose involvement includes advocacy, engagement, volunteerism,
- Honors an alumnus/alumna who has demonstrated exemplary philanthropic support in the form of major financial contributions to Winston-Salem State University.
The Distinguished Alumni Committee, comprised of 3-5 individuals appointed by the Chancellor of Winston-Salem State University.
This year’s deadline to have recipients named and notified is October 9, 2023.