New U.S. 52 interchange opening near WSSU
The extension of Research Parkway is scheduled to open on Wednesday, July 12, creating a new interchange on U.S. 52 for drivers entering Winston-Salem State University’s campus and Bowman Gray Stadium. The exit/entrance ramps at Rams Drive (108C) will close permanently.
Starting on July 12, to enter WSSU’s campus:
- From U.S. 52: Take the new Research Parkway exit and head follow the signs to Research Parkway East.
- From Business I-40: Drivers can continue to use the Martin Luther King Jr. Drive exit.
Starting on July 12, to reach Bowman Gray Stadium:
- The new Research Parkway interchange provides a most direct route from U.S. 52 to the stadium.
- Fans who use Martin Luther King Jr. Drive to get to the stadium from Waughtown Street or from Business 40 will not be affected.
- The parking lot entrance and exit patterns at the stadium also are changing. See maps for updated traffic patterns.
Rams Drive Bridge
The Rams Drive bridge over U.S. 52 is being replaced as part of the project.
U.S. 52 from Interstate 40 to Business 40 will be closed from late on Friday, July 21, through Sunday, July 23, for removal of the bridge. Rams Drive then will be closed to through traffic for construction of a new bridge. The project will be completed by December.
WSSU is working closely with the City of Winston-Salem to communicate the changes to various campus visitors.