Department of Music presents faculty recital series
The Department of Music at Winston-Salem State University (WSSU) is highlighting the talents of its faculty through a new faculty recital series.
The yearlong series will include six concerts starting on Aug. 23 and continuing through April 9. Each concert is free and open to the public and will be held at Dillard Auditorium in the Albert H. Anderson Conference Center on the campus of WSSU.
- All-American Music Concert: Faculty will present a concert featuring American composers, including Marion Bauer, Bruce Broughton, and George Gershwin, at 7 p.m. on Aug. 23.
- Hindemith Anniversary Concert: Faculty will present the works of composer Paul Hindemith on 55th anniversary of the composer’s death at 7 p.m. on Oct. 4.
- Latin American Music Concert: The Placilla-Thompson Duo (Dr. Christina Placilla and Dr. Gregory Thompson, associate professors of music at WSSU) and other WSSU faculty will present a concert of viola and piano works by Latin American Composers at 7 p.m. on Nov. 8. This concert is part of WSSU's International Education Week.
- Julia Klumpkey Concert: The Placilla-Thompson Duo will perform a concert of viola and piano works by American female composer Julia Klumpkey at 7 p.m. on Jan. 24.
- Music from Russia Concert: Faculty will present a selection of works featuring Russian composers, including Glinka and Prokofiev, at 7 p.m. on March 21.
- Faculty Recital: The Department of Music Faculty will present a recital of works by various artists at 7 p.m. on April 9.
For more information on any of the performances, please contact Dr. Christina Placina at 336-750-1531 or firstname.lastname@example.org.