WSSU Homecoming 2022 celebrates the university’s 130th anniversary
Get ready, Ramily! The Winston-Salem State University Homecoming will celebrate the university’s 130th anniversary. Expect many special events and fireworks throughout the week.
The Homecoming celebration, Sept 25-Oct 2, will feature musical performances, reunions, step shows, coronations, a special birthday celebration, the first parade since 2019, the big game and more. Please visit the Homecoming 2022 website for the entire schedule and information about ticketed events.
The RAMGuide Homecoming app is available for download at the App Store.
Here’s a look at what to expect:
- Homecoming begins with a focus on the community. The Paint the City Red initiative allows WSSU students to serve their campus and the wider community through volunteer service.
- The official Lighting of the Homecoming Sign will begin at 8:30 at the Donald J. Reaves Student Center-Breezeway. The Red Sea of Sound, WSSU Powerhouse of Red and White, guest alum and former Miss WSSU Taylor Walker will all be there. This event is hosted by DP the MC and DJ Trellz.
- Festive fireworks will light up the sky beginning at 9 p.m.
Monday, Sept 26
- Student Affairs and friends are hosting A Ramily Affair to promote a safe and healthy Homecoming Week. Friends include:
- Wellness Center
- Campus Police
- Student Conduct
- And more!
- The 2022 Homecoming Comedy Show will take place at 7 p.m. at the K.R. Williams Auditorium.
Tuesday, Sept 27
- The New Designer Showcase is a fresh addition to the Homecoming roster. The showcase will feature new and innovative clothing designs from WSSU students and community creatives.
Wednesday, Sept 28
- Happy 130th Birthday, WSSU! There will be a campus-wide two-hour party from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. to celebrate the founding of the university. Stop by the Breezeway/Clocktower area for music, food, and celebration. Become part of the number in our WSSU Days of Giving Campaign.
- The School of Health Sciences Legends of Healthcare Luncheon will recognize students, members of the community, and organizations who have positively impacted the health and wellness of residents of East Winston-Salem. There is no cost, but an RSVP is required.
- The new Miss and Mr. WSSU will be crowned during Coronation. This will be followed by a fireworks display.
Thursday, Sept 29
- Career Development Services will host Alumni Return to Serve, a high-impact event that brings current students and alumni together to enhance students’ professional growth.
- Greasy Red Spoon Vendor Fair offers food, merchandise, and a great place to catch up with friends, colleagues and alumni. The Homecoming Community Stage will feature excellent local performers.
- The Annual Nurses Gala and Awards Celebration will focus on 69 years of Nursing Excellence and the Red & Black Affair will be an “All-White Affair with a Touch of Flair.”
Friday, Sept 30
- Friday is packed with activities including the traditional Wreath Laying Ceremony and Founder’s Day Convocation which will take place in the morning. Alumni will check-in, and there will be another chance to hit the vendor fair, participate in the Ram Rave, and party with the National Alumni Association and the Alumni Cheerleaders at “Club Ram” Alumni Cheerleaders Day.
- WSSU will celebrate alum Harold T. Respass ’09 who made a gift to name a room at WSSU. There will be a live-stream of the event at 3 p.m.
- The festivities continue with the Homecoming Step Show, WSSU National Alumni Hall of Distinction, and Crowning and Gala. There will also be the Ramily Diva and Funk Takeover Official Homecoming Celebration at Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum as well as the Young Alumni Gym Jam in the Gaines Center.
Saturday, Oct 1
- The WSSU Homecoming Parade is back! WSSU will celebrate our 130th year and paint the City of Winston-Salem Ram Red. This is followed by the Homecoming Football Game where WSSU faces off against Lincoln University.
- After the game, people are invited to Return to the Yard for fellowship, music, and the final opportunity to visit the merchants at the Greasy Red Spoon Vendor Fair.
Sunday, Oct 2
- Homecoming 2022 wraps up with the 4th Quarter Scholarship Fundraiser, a student/alumni basketball game at Gaines Auditorium.
Follow events on social media through #WSSUHomecoming #RamilyReunion.