General Guidelines for Contracts
- No modifications are allowed to WSSU contract templates or routing pages unless completed by the Office of Legal Affairs.
- Contracts completed using an WSSU contract template should have Contractor's signature at the time of submission or documentation validating Contractor's position on not signing.
- All contracts on internal or external templates must be routed to Purchasing for review.
- All contracts should be submitted in a timely manner to obtain a fully executed contract before services are to begin. Contracts submitted after services begin will require a Contract Justification.
- Contractual Services Agreements: services to be paid a total of twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) or more, review by the Office of Legal Affairs is required.
- Contractual Services Agreements should not have terms longer than three (3) years.
- Clinical Affiliation and Site Agreements: terms should not last more than five (5) years for out of state contracts, or ten (10) years for in state contracts.
- Contracts cannot be used to fulfill the duties of employees. For further information, please contact Human Resources.
- Contracts that involve the receipt of funds must be approved by the University Controller. See below for routing page.
- If the services rendered will involve technology components (i.e. software or hardware), the signature of Information Technology is required.
- If the services rendered will involve marketing components (i.e. logos, trademarks, filming/photography, speakers, promotion, etc.), the signature of Integrated Marketing Communication is required.
All consultant services to be performed on behalf of Winston-Salem State University must be approved in advance through the North Carolina Department of Administration, Division of Purchase & Contract, and the Governor’s office. Consultant services shall be obtained only after it is determined that such services are in the best interest of the State and Winston-Salem State University. For more information, please contact Purchasing.
- Contractual Services Agreement (State Funds)
This template should be used when contracting for services which will be paid for using State funds. This contract template should not be used when grant funds will be used to pay the independent contractor, or when the independent contractor is a performance artist or DJ. If the services rendered will involve technology components, the signature of Information Technology is required. If the services rendered will involve marketing components, the signature of Integrated Marketing Communication is required.
- Contractual Services Agreement (Grant Funds)
All contracts involving grant funds must be initiated by the Office of Sponsored Programs.
- Speaker/Artist Engagement Contract (State Funds)
This template should be used when contracting for performances such as speakers, DJs, or artists paid for using State funds. This contract template can be when contracting with the performer directly or the performer's agent.
- DJ/Host Contract (State Funds)
This template should be used to establish the terms under which a DJ or Host will perform for University events, but does not guarantee the DJ or Host will be hired for any events, nor does it secure the DJ or Host for a specific event. Specific events will be scheduled by the appropriate University departments.
- Clinical Affiliation Agreement
This template should be used to establish a clinical affiliation relationship between WSSU and a health care provider that is located in the State of North Carolina. If a Facility is located outside the State of North Carolina, State Authorization is required. Clinical affiliations provide WSSU students with experiential learning opportunities.
- Site Agreement
This template should be used to establish a mutual working relationship between WSSU and a Site that is located in the State of North Carolina. If a Site is located outside the State of North Carolina, State Authorization is required. Sites provide WSSU students with experiential learning opportunities.
- Athletics Sponsorship Agreement
This template should be used to establish a sponsorship relationship with the University's Department of Athletics.