101.10 - Selective Service Policy
University Group Policy #101.10
I. Policy StatementWinston-Salem State University will comply with the Military Selective Service Act (50 U.S.C App. 451 et seq.), as it may be amended from time to time. All applicants must complete the selective service compliance information on the WSSU employment application.
- Each WSSU employment application form to be used for university employment shall contain information to determine compliance with Selective Service
- If an application does not answer affirmatively, the application shall be notified that he will not be eligible for the position unless he provides information which establishes that he is in fact in compliance with the registration requirement of the Military Selective Service Act within thirty (30) days.
- The applicant may present documentary or oral evidence to prove that he is in fact registered or to show that compliance is not required. University officials in charge of employment may allow the applicant an opportunity for a hearing to challenge the proposed finding of ineligibility
- To prove eligibility, an applicant may show one of the following:
- That he is registered with the Selective Service
- That he is not required to be registered with the Selective Service; or
- That the requirement to register has terminated or become inapplicable and that the failure to register was not a knowing and willful failure to register.
- In determining whether the applicant has established eligibility under these rules, the level of proof required shall be a preponderance of the evidence.
The policy applies to all Winston-Salem State University employees.
Responsible Division: Vice Chancellor and Chief of Staff
Authority: Board of Trustees
- Adopted: June 17, 2011