103.5 - Employment Preference for Veterans
University Group Policy #103.5
I. Policy StatementIt shall be the policy of Winston-Salem State University that, in appreciation for their service to this State and this country during a period of war, and in recognition of the time and advantage lost toward the pursuit of a civilian career, veterans shall be granted preference in employment with the University.
- Period of War: For application of this policy, period of war shall include:
- World War I: April 16, 1917 through November 11, 1918
- World War II: December 7, 1941 through December 31, 1946
- Korean Conflict: June 27, 1950 through January 31, 1955
- The period of time between January 31, 1955 and the end of hostilities in Vietnam May 7, 1975
- Veteran: A person who served in the Armed Forces of the United State on active duty, for reasons other than training, and has been discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.
- Eligible Veteran: An eligible veteran is:
- A veteran who served during a period of war; or
- The spouse of a disabled veteran; or
- The surviving spouse or dependent of a veteran who dies on active duty during a period of war either directly or indirectly as a result of such service; or
- A veteran who suffered a disabling injury for service-related reasons during peacetime; or
- The spouse of a veteran described in Section II., C., 4.
- The surviving spouse or dependent of a person who served in the Armed Forces of the United State on active duty, for reasons other than training, who died for service-related reasons during peacetime
- Eligible persons must complete and submit an application for a position covered by this policy
- Applicant must meet the minimum education and experience requirements for the position applied for and must be capable of performing the essential duties assigned to the position
IV. Roles and Responsibilities
Human Resources shall evaluate the qualifications of eligible person against minimum education and experience requirements and shall give credit on a year for year and month for month basis for all military experience which bears a reasonable functional relationship to the knowledge, skills and abilities required for the position applied for.
V. ApplicabilityThis policy applies to all SHRA positions.
VI. ComplianceAny claim that preference has not been accorded to an eligible person must be filed in accordance to the University of North Carolina SHRA Grievance Policy
Responsible Division: Vice Chancellor & Chief of Staff
Authority: Board of Trustees
- Adopted: June 9, 2017