Skip to main content

302.4 - On-Campus Residency Requirement

University Group Policy #302.4

I.  Policy Statement

All students classified Freshman or Sophomore will be required to live in a University-operated residence hall.


An exemption from the on-campus residency requirement may be considered for the following situations:

  • Students who are twenty-one (21) years of age or older by no later than the first day of classes. A certified copy of the certificate of birth must be submitted as documentation.
  • Students who are married. A certified copy of the certificate of marriage must be submitted as documentation.
  • Students who have custody of dependent children. A certified copy of the certificate of birth or appropriate court order must be submitted as documentation.
  • Students who have completed at least 2 years active military service, with an honorable discharge. Documentation must be provided to verify service.
  • Students who live with parent(s)/guardian(s) whose current permanent primary place of residence is not more than 15 miles from the main campus.

II.    Guidelines

For the upcoming Fall Semester, written requests for an exemption must be made in writing no later than June 1 for all returning students. Incoming Freshman must request an exemption in writing within 30 calendar days from the date of their room deposit for the upcoming Fall Semester. Exemption requests are due by November 15 for the upcoming Spring Semester. Students should complete an Exemption Request Form, which is available from the Department of Residence Life and Housing or at student-life/housing-and-residence-life/index and submit it before the applicable deadline.

Students who fail or refuse to comply with the Residency Requirement Program and/or who furnish false information to a University official or office in connection with a request for exemption will be referred to the Office of Judicial Affairs for appropriate action, up to and including suspension or dismissal.

All correspondence regarding exemption requests should be addressed to:

Winston-Salem State University 
Department of Housing and Residence Life 
Residency Requirement Request
601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
300 Thompson Center
Winston-Salem, NC 27110

Or Send via Email to:

The Housing Review Committee will consider written requests for exemptions which are received by the applicable deadline. The Committee will send a written decision to the student’s University email address listed on the request form.

Students may appeal, in writing, the denial of a request for exemption to the Retention Housing Appeal Board, which is comprised of faculty and staff.

Written appeals must be submitted to the Department of Housing and Residence Life no later than ten (10) business days after notice has been sent that a request for exemption has been denied. The appeal must state concisely the reasons the denial of the exemption request should be reversed and should include any new evidence which the student contends supports the appeal.

The Retention Housing Appeal Board may consult with other units of the University, including, but not limited to, the Student Health Center, Office of Student Support Services, Student Affairs, University College, and the Office of Financial Aid to verify information submitted for consideration. The appeals board will communicate its decision in writing to the student by email within ten (10) business days. This decision will be final.

III.     Applicability

This policy applies to students classified Freshmen or Sophomore at Winston-Salem State University.

Responsible Division: Provost & Vice Chancellor for Academic & Student Affairs

Authority: Board of Trustees


  • Adopted June 17, 2011
  • Amended March 15, 2013

Related Resources: