800.14 - Vehicle Safety Operations
University Group Policy #800.14
This policy provides guidance for procedures for the proper safety and operation of low speed utility vehicles and applies to all members of the University Community using utility vehicles on the campus of Winston-Salem State University, including leased spaces, adjoining streets and right-of-ways.
- Utility Vehicle: A self-propelled, low speed vehicle designed for off road, non-public street use, typically used to transport persons, equipment, supplies and/or materials, and is generally used for general maintenance, security, agricultural or horticultural purposes, and passenger transport.
- University Business: Transporting personnel, equipment, and supplies and/or materials for University purposes when other transportation means are unavailable or problematic; or transporting employees, students, and/or guests with temporary or permanent disability-related needs as defined by WSSU EEO/AA & Diversity Office. Transportation of guests for special events is also considered University Business.
- Utility Carts/ Vehicles may only be used for official University business by university employees, student employees, university approved volunteers and approved contractors/vendors who are associated with a University department. Utility Carts/Vehicles may only be used for authorized University Business.
- Utility Cart/Vehicle operation is subject to the rules of the road, including stopping, turning and safe operation. Utility Cart/Vehicle operators observed in violation of these rules can be cited by police, including but not limited to, by WSSU Police. Individuals are responsible for any violations they commit.
- If a supervisor observes unsafe movement violations, he or she shall address the violation immediately.
This policy is applicable to all members of the University Community using utility vehicles on the campus of Winston-Salem State University, including leased spaces, adjoining streets and right-of-ways.
- Compliance with this policy and any associated procedures and standards are mandatory. Any violation of them, including, but not limited to personal use of a Utility Cart/Vehicle, may result in suspension of user privileges and may be grounds for other appropriate disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal for employees and/or suspension for students.
- The Environmental Health & Safety Department shall develop and maintain procedures to address the following and any other areas related to the operation or use of low speed Utility Carts/Vehicles pursuant to this policy:
- Vehicle Operating Standards
- Supervisor/Department Responsibilities
- Operator Requirements & Standards
- Utility Carts/Vehicles Condition & Safety Features
- Accident & Misuse Reporting Procedures
Responsible Division: Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration
Authority: Board of Trustees
- Adopted March 15, 2013