Winston-Salem State University is implementing a flexible, in-person Fall 2020 experience designed to keep the Ram Family safe while moving our community forward. Based on guidance from public health professionals and the UNC System; faculty, staff, and student feedback; and recommendations from campus working groups, WSSU will have a revised schedule for Fall 2020.
- We will begin the 2020-21 academic year on August 17, one week earlier than originally scheduled.
- The last day of in-person instruction will be November 20.
- Final exams for most courses will be given online between November 23-December 2.
- We will forgo fall break (October 12-13) in order to complete the in-person portion of the semester before Thanksgiving.
- Students will be encouraged not to return to campus after the Thanksgiving holiday unless they are in an internship or a similar course that requires the completion of specific hours that cannot be finalized before Thanksgiving
Due to the moving of the first day of classes, we have adjusted our move-in dates for new first-time students, transfer students, and continuing students.
- Move-in for first-year students will be on Friday, August 7 and Saturday, August 8. Incoming students should watch for emails from Housing and Residence Life with details about your specific move-in time slot.
- Move-in for transfer students will be Sunday August 9. Transfer students should watch for emails from Housing and Residence Life with details about your specific move-in time slot.
- Move-in for our continuing students will be Thursday, August 13 and Friday, August 14. Watch for emails from Housing and Residence Life with details about the move-in schedule.
New Student Orientation
Ramdition (New Undergraduate Student Orientation) will begin on August 9. New freshmen and transfer students should watch for more information in the coming weeks.
All study abroad programs scheduled for Fall 2020 will be cancelled.
In response to guidance from the UNC System and the executive order signed by North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper, Winston-Salem State University is asking everyone to take personal responsibility to protect the health and well-being of the Ram Family.
Effective immediately, all faculty, staff, students, contractors, vendors, suppliers, and visitors are required to wear face coverings in all hallways, elevators, public spaces, and common areas, as well as when entering any WSSU building. Face coverings must also be worn in office spaces and outdoor spaces where physical distancing is difficult to maintain. Wearing a face covering is not required when alone in a personal office or in individual residence hall rooms.
WSSU will be providing two cloth face coverings to all faculty, staff, and students before the fall semester begins. Masks are available for essential staff who are already back on campus. Departments should email firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements to obtain those face coverings. Individuals are encouraged to make or purchase face coverings following guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
In addition to wearing cloth face coverings, the campus community must also take the following personal precautions while on campus:
- Practice physical distancing at all times (at least six feet of physical separation between yourself and others).
- Practice good personal hygiene, including washing hands frequently with soap and water or using hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol if soap is unavailable.
- Routinely clean and sanitize your workspace and shared equipment.
Our collective health and safety depends on everyone doing their part to protect our community.
In addition to instructional spaces, dining services, research labs, and recreational spaces will also be evaluated and reconfigured to integrate social distancing measures to protect students, faculty, and staff.