Licensure Application Instructions
Please follow these steps to apply for the North Carolina Professional Educator's Initial License. Initiating the licensure application is the applicant’s responsibility. Applicants must have a 2.7 GPA to be recommended for a Professional Educator's Initial License from the Winston-Salem State University (WSSU) Educator Preparation Program (EPP).
Upload the following documents to the application:
- edTPA score report
- Statement of applicant documents (if applicable).
- Work authorization (if not US citizen).
- Experience verification form (if applicable).
- Official transcripts (Any institutions previously attended).
- Transcripts may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar.
- MAT and licensure only candidates: Please obtain a copy of your undergraduate transcript. The undergraduate transcript must be submitted to the NCDPI in addition to your WSSU transcript.
- Order an official WSSU PDF transcript, to be e-mailed to the applicant.
- Choose the option to send the transcript after the degree is awarded.
- Save the official transcript to upload to the license application.
- Grade reports or pictures of the official transcript are NOT acceptable. The transcript must be an official copy.
- Credit card payment information ($70.00) Visa or Master Card. Note: In the event payment is refused, any licensure document that has been issued will become null and void.
The Licensure Officer will:
- Review the application for verification and will submit recommendation for the Professional Educator's Initial License.
- Upload the licensure exam scores (NC Foundations of Reading/General Curriculum and/or Praxis Subject Assessment).
- If applicant does not select the submit button, the application created will remain on file for 30 days. Applicant must complete the application within 30 days or it will expire.
- Please print PDF summary report when the fee and summary report page is displayed for your records.
- Once the completed application is submitted, applicant cannot change information unless a new request is submitted. This may include an additional fee.
- The State Board of Education will reimburse the initial application fee within 30 days for any new graduate from any recognized EPP the first time an applicant submits an application for teacher licensure, if the applicant has successfully earned an initial professional license in North Carolina.