The WSSU chemistry department delivers education through high-quality instruction and research. Every major works with a faculty advisor to select the courses that best fit his or her academic and career objectives.
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry
- Minor Program in Chemistry
- Minor Program in Physics
WSSU's American Chemical Society (ACS) student chapter promotes chemistry and science to the campus and local communities. Members have opportunities for professional growth, networking, & research, including participation in science fairs, science night activities, and after-school programs for local K-12 students. Through a variety of annual projects, including canned good collections for a local food bank and donating resources to benefit needy families, members serve the local community.
The faculty of the Department of Chemistry believes strongly that research is a critical component of an undergraduate chemistry degree. We encourage our undergraduate students to begin research as early as the freshman year.
Research provides an opportunity to apply the principles learned in the classroom to an original problem. In addition, prospective employers, graduate schools and professional programs strongly value research experiences. Undergraduate research can also offer insights into career possibilities by giving you an idea of what research fields interest you.
All faculty members are happy to work with undergraduate researchers! There are research opportunities for undergraduates in any of a number of faculty research areas such as analytical chemistry, bio-inorganic chemistry, bio-organic chemistry, biological chemistry, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, photochemistry, physical chemistry, theoretical chemistry, forensic chemistry and environmental chemistry. In addition to chemistry research, we also have faculty performing research in physics.
- Shimadzu 2401 UV-Vis Spectrophotometer
- Cary Eclipse Fluorescence Spectrophotometer
- Cary 50 Bio UV-Vis Spectrophotometer
- Bioanalytical Systems Epsilon Potentiostat/Galvanostat Electrochemical Analyzer
- Shimadzu Atomic Absorption Spectrometer (AAS)
- Shimazdzu Gas Chromatograph-Mass Spectrometer (GC-MS)
- Shimadzu High-Performance Liquid Chromatograph (HPLC)
- Bioanalytical Systems Electrochemical Analyzer
- Shimadzu Fourier-Transform Infrared Spectrometer (FT-IR)
- Anasazi 90 MHz FT-NMR Spectrometer
- Agilent Technologies 8453 Diode Array UV-Vis Spectrophotometer
- Agilent Technologies Capillary Electrophoresis
- Thermo Electron Nicolet 380 FT-IR Spectrometer
- VersaTherm Thermo Gravimetric Analyzer (TGA)
- MicroCal Isothermal Titration Calorimeter (ITC)
- Milestones Ethos Microwave Instrument
- Cary 100 UV Spectrophotometer
- BioLogic DuoFlow Liquid Chromatography System
- Nicolet Centaurus FT-IR Microscope
- PQS Quantum Cube with 8 8-core processors