Student Support Services
Student Support Services, known at Winston-Salem State University as Team B.O.S.S. (Building Outstanding Student Success), is a federally funded TRiO program aimed at boosting the academic performance of those students who are first-generation college students, come from modest income backgrounds, and/or have a registered disability. This program exists to aid eligible students in achieving their academic goal of obtaining a baccalaureate degree.
B.O.S.S. Services Include:
- Grant Aid Awards
- Individualized and small-group tutoring
- Personalized academic counseling, advising and goal-setting
Graduate studies information and GRE/GMAT/LSAT prep workshops
- Financial aid and literacy in personal finance
- Career exploration and career coaching
- Cultural activities and graduate school tours
Participants in the B.O.S.S. program have access to:
- A private computer lab
- One-on-one coaching
- Cultural events
- Free printing services
Want to join Team B.O.S.S?
Each year, we accept a select number of students to become Team B.O.S.S. members. Interested students must apply to the program using the link to the left, or by visiting the Student Support Services office on the 1st Floor of the Student Success Center at Hill Hall. Applicants must receive a confirmation of acceptance before taking advantage of the services offered through B.O.S.S.
Who Qualifies for Team B.O.S.S.?
- Students whose financial status is considered low income according to federal qualifying income levels.
- First-generation college students, meaning that neither parent holds a four-year University degree.
- Students who have a documented physical or learning disability and are registered with WSSU’s Office of Disability Services.