Winston-Salem State University participates in CLEP, a national program of credit-by-examination that offers students an opportunity to earn college credit by examination. CLEP offers two types of tests: General Examinations and Subject Examinations.
Please read the below regarding CLEP policies at WSSU. If you have further questions, contact the CLEP administrator Cynthia Worth at (336)750-2390 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Ms. Worth is located in the Student Success Center at Hill Hall, room 330.
University policies regarding CLEP are as follows:
- WSSU does not award credit for General Examinations.
- Students may earn a maximum of (36) semester hours of CLEP credit for subject examinations.
- WSSU recognizes the right of each academic department to determine the maximum number of additional credits to be earned via challenging examinations.
- Credit by examination cannot be used to meet the 30-hour residency requirement.
- A CLEP score may not be used for course credit once a student has earned a grade in that particular course.
- You must wait six (6) months to retake any CLEP exam.
- Five general exams cover course material usually required in the first two years of college.
Twenty-nine subject exams cover material from a wide range of courses in the fields of
Business, Composition and Literature, Foreign Languages, History and Social Science and
The document entitled Transfer Articulation CLEP describes minimum acceptable scores and number of credit hours awarded for each course.
CLEP Examinations, 19th Edition, contains descriptions of all CLEP exams, sample questions and answers, test making strategies, and general information about credit by examination. The cost is $24.95 (plus shipping and handling, postage, and sales tax where applicable).
To get more information about ordering the Study Guide or to place a credit card order call 1-800-323-7155 (toll free in the U.S.) Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., ET., or access the website at CLEP Online.
CLEP tests are primarily administered the first Saturday of each month at 8:00 a.m. (excluding holidays).
- All CLEP test-takers must use My Account to register and pay for CLEP examinations.
- A $25 non-refundable site fee per exam is required, payable to WSSU by check or money order only. This fee which must be received two (2) weeks in advance of the testing date. Checks or Money Orders should be mailed to:
Winston-Salem State University
University College & Lifelong Learning
P. O. Box 19527
Attn: Cynthia Worth - CLEP Administrator
Hill Hall #330
Winston-Salem, NC 27110