Writing and Communication Center
The Writing and Communication Center is located on the third floor of Student Success Center in Hill Hall. Our peer tutors and professional writing consultants offer writing, reading, and communication assistance to WSSU students, faculty, and staff. We can help you with writing projects, speeches and oral presentations, as well as visuals for incorporation into a paper or a presentation.
- We will work with you at any point in the process from invention through final editing, from developing an outline to perfecting your presentation style.
- Writing staff are not editors. We will not do the work for you.
- We will collaborate to help you understand the writing process utilizing a variety of rhetorical devices such as purpose, audience, organization, language, and conventions to improve your writing and communication skills.
- Our goal is to build skills that will help you become a more confident, self-sufficient writer, reader, and communicator.
- Please note that there are limited face-to-face appointments due to COVID-19. Most appointments will take place in Zoom.
- Make an appointment with a peer tutor or professional consultant using Navigate.
Follow Us on Social Media
Please schedule your appointment using Navigate:
- Log into Navigate from MyWSSU or using the app on your phone.
- Enter your WSSU ID and password.
- Select “Schedule an Appointment” or “Schedule a General Event.”
- Choose “Tutoring” as your care unit.
- Choose your desired location. Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, face-to-face tutoring may be limited.
- An online peer or professional tutoring or SI appointment—Zoom
- 1st Floor Student Success Center—Tutoring and Learning Center—Hill Hall
- 3rd Floor Student Success Center—Writing and Communication Center—Hill Hall
- Select the desired “Service” from the dropdown arrow: Subject Tutoring, SI, or Writing and Communication Center
- If you choose Subject Tutoring or SI for your service, enter the course for which you wish to receive help. Those visiting the Writing and Communication Center do not need to choose a course.
- Select the date and time from the available choices that you would like to meet with the tutor/SI. Appointment length defaults 30 minutes. You can change the default in the length box.
- Submit the request. A confirmation email will be sent to your WSSU account and will appear in Navigate. If you made a Zoom appointment, the link will be sent to you in the email.