The mass communications program prepares you for a variety of exciting careers such as journalism, public relations, mass communications, and other professions.
You will have access to hands-on experiences in print journalism, broadcast and electronic productions, and multimedia. Students are encouraged to participate in the activities of The News Argus, WSNC 90.5 FM, SU Radio, RAM-TV, and other media-related activities within the department. Designated laboratories for audio and video production are also accessible. Additionally, the university has built relationships with media organizations in the region that provide student internship opportunities.
There are three tracks offered for majors in mass communications:
- Digital Media: track prepares students to create, present and direct digital media.
- Multiplatform Journalism: track prepares students to work as writers and editors.
- Applied Communication: track prepares students to identify, analyze and implicate the problems and practices emanating from the personal, social, cultural, global, and professional areas of society.
- Investigative Journalism
- Public Relations
- Sports Journalism
- Art, Design and Production
- Technical Writing
- Video Production
- Social Media Management
- Events Planning
- Multimedia Production
- Media, Communication and Culture
- Digital Convergence
- Feature Writing
- Studio Production
- Minorities and Media
Winston-Salem State University is truly a family. You truly matter to the people that are here. I'll always be a Ram, no matter what.