Homecoming Safety Message from SGA
Dear Fellow Rams:
It’s Homecoming Y’all! This week is one of the most exciting on the WSSU campus with pretty much nonstop events, performances, parades, celebrations, and parties. For a list of all the Homecoming events visit: www.wssu.edu/homecoming.
Karaoke, comedy, and coronation kick off the week. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday will have thousands of students, alumni, and community members on campus. We want to make sure that Homecoming is a safe experience for everyone.
Here are several things to keep in mind during Homecoming Week:
Plan Ahead of Time
- Purchase tickets to events ahead of time. WSSU ticket office: www.wssu.edu/tickets
- Choose a designated driver for off-campus events.
- Make sure to park in well-lit areas.
- Stick together with your friends. Don’t travel alone. Make sure to leave with the group you came with. Don’t leave your friends behind.
- Make sure you have the phone numbers for everyone in the group.
- Do not consume alcohol if you are less than 21 years of age.
- If you are of legal age to consume alcohol, drink responsibly.
- Do not accept open container drinks from strangers.
- Designate drivers who have agreed not to consume any alcohol or call a friend.
- Be mindful of police checkpoints and plan accordingly.
Be Aware of Your Surroundings
- Be aware of what’s going on around you at all times.
- Be alert when crossing roads, especially Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive. Obey traffic signal and use designated pedestrian walkways.
- If you suspect you are being followed, cross the street, change direction or go to a place where others are standing.
- Remember that people use high traffic/crowed events as a time to commit crimes.
- If you are confronted by someone trying to victimize you, don’t be a hero. Get a good description and call the police.
Protect Your Valuables
- Keep personal identification on you at all times.
- Limit the amount of cash and credit cards you carry with you.
- Secure cell phones and electronic devices properly when not in use.
- Keep handbags close when not accessing contents.
- Secure all valuable items in the trunk of your vehicle. Do not leave valuables visible in your car.
Don’t Get Caught Off Guard
- Be mindful. Do not let the festive atmosphere catch you off guard.
- Avoid displaying large sums of money.
- Keep your room and vehicle doors locked at all times.
- Don’t take rides from strangers.
- Having fun is a priority during Homecoming, but safety should always be first!
Call for HELP If You Need It
- WSSU Campus Police will be present at all large events
- Campus Police Emergency number: 336-750-2911.
- Campus Police Non-Emergency number: 336-750-2900
- Emergency Assistance: 911
Homecoming 2017 is going to be a great time. Looking forward to seeing you there!
- WSSU Student Government Association