J. Denise Johnson
- BS in Applied Mathematics, North Carolina State University
- MS in Mathematics Education, North Carolina State University
- EdD in Curriculum and Instruction (Mathematics Education Concentration), GWU
Research and Project Interests
- Girls in STEM
- Beginning Teacher Support
- Using Technology to Teach Mathematics
- Parental Involvement in STEM Education
Community Outreach Programs
GEMS: Girls Empowered by Math and Science
GEMS is divided into two programs:
A school year program that meets one Saturday morning a month. The school year program includes STEM based activities and math reviews. A non-residential week-long summer program. The summer activities also include activities on STEM topics and math reviews but also includes a three-day field trip. The summer program is a small fee to help off-set the cost of the program.
Each student will engage in numerous hours of academic enrichment in mathematics, science, and technology. The core curriculum has been developed by WSSU faculty in alignment with the North Carolina Middle School Mathematics and Science Common Core State Standards for middle and high school topics such as; Engineering, Environmental Science, Computer Design, and Robotics.
Some of the activities will include:
- Exciting STEM based activities and math reviews
- Engaging hands-on activities with the use of cutting-edge technology
- Informal learning experiences
- And much, much more...
Visit the official Girls Empowered by Math and Science site.