Nancy Smith, PT, DPT, GCS received her MPT and DPT from Saint Louis University, and is a PhD candidate in Curriculum and Instruction at North Carolina State University. She is a certified clinical specialist in geriatrics from the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialists. Prior to teaching at Winston-Salem State University, she practiced in geriatrics and acute care for 11 years. In her practice, her experiences have ranged from practicing as a staff level therapist to managing multiple skilled nursing facilities clinically and operationally. Dr. Smith holds a Credentialed Clinical Instructor certification and has experience as a clinical instructor. Currently, she is a Clinical Assistant Professor at Winston-Salem State University, where she teaches content in cardiopulmonary physical therapy and geriatrics. Dr. Smith has also presented locally and nationally on human patient simulation, and is currently doing research on the effects of technology and human patient simulation on student learning outcomes.
- BA, Psychology, Saint Louis University
- BS, Exercise Science, Saint Louis University
- MPT, Saint Louis University
- DPT, Saint Louis University
- Certified Clinical Specialist in Geriatrics, ABPTS 2010-2020, Number 20828
- Credentialed Clinical Instructor, APTA
Research and Project Interests
- Utilization of human patient simulation in the facilitation of learning in physical therapy students
- Learning styles of physical therapy students
- Clinical reasoning and mobile technology
- Use of technology and virtual reality in facilitation of learning
Migliarese SJ, Smith NS, Annas, A, Sawyer C. Fighting frailty in undeserved communities. Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation. in press.
Smith, NS, Prybylo, S., Conner-Kerr, T. Using simulation and patient role-play to teach electrocardiographic rhythms to physical therapy students. Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy Journal, 2012:23(1), 36-42.
McAuley P, Smith N, Emerson B, Myers JN. The obesity paradox and cardiorespiratory fitness. Journal of Obesity. 2012;2012. http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jobes/aip/951582/. doi: 10.1155/2012/951582.
Basic Skills – DPT 6301
Cardiopulmonary – DPT 7303
Geriatrics – DPT 8203
Physical Agents – DPT 6207, 6105
Research II & III – DPT 7207 ,8205
Psychosocial Issues (Community Care Clinic) – DPT 6205