Brown Hall, constructed in 1964, is named for Thomas J. Brown, an early graduate of Slater Industrial Academy (now Winston-Salem State University). Later, he attended Shaw University and became a public school teacher. He returned to Slater Industrial Academy and State Normal School in 1911 to serve as principal of the Columbian Heights Practice School for four years. In 1920, he was named postmaster of Station A, which served the Slater Industrial Academy and Normal School campus and the local community. However, he is perhaps best known for his many years of service as an instructor in the Social Sciences, a department which he also chaired when the school became a four-year institution in 1925. Thomas J. Brown retired from his postmaster and instructing duties in 1961, and died in 1976. Brown Hall is a co-ed freshmen only hall.

Room Configurations

Brown Hall has five floors of double rooms. Each student has a desk, chest of drawers, a sizeable closet, and a twin XL bed. In the summer of 2014, Brown underwent major renovations. Included in these renovations was having the student rooms painted, hardwood patterned vinyl flooring and new ¾ height loftable furniture. The building also received a new entrance lobby and improved Information Technology.

Facility Overview

  • Number of floors: 5
  • Number of rooms? 125
  • Capacity: 250
  • Elevator? Yes
  • Air Conditioning? Yes

Campus Location

  • Study Room(s)? Yes
  • Exercise Room? No
  • Kitchen Access? Yes
  • Laundry Facilities? Yes
  • Furniture: ¾ Height loftable furniture
  • North: Thompson Center
  • South: MLK Drive
  • West: Reaves Student Activity Center
  • East: Foundation Hall